Need some guidance on a carry pistol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This weekend is my birthday. I'm allowing myself to buy a pistol. I'm ideally looking for something that will be not miserable to carry, reliable and not terribly spendy. I don't even mind if it's ugly!

I'm mostly thinking something in .380 or 9MM. I'm planning to go look at the Ruger LCP. Although I'm worried it may not be a good fit for my quite big hands.

What brands/models should I avoid at all costs?

What is your favorite CCW pistol with the above in mind.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My tastes are expensive, but I go between my Kimber 4" (my avitar), or my Sig P220 Carry Equinox 3.9". With a good belt, I use Bull Hide belts, and holster, Stronghold Pheonix for my Kimber and Milt Sparks Vers Max II for the Sig, they're both pretty comfortable to carry. I also carry a Sig P238 .380 in a DiSantis Cozy Partner holster when my "big guns" are a little too much. Just remember, get something you will reliably carry, with reliable ammo, and reliably shoot. Concealed carry isn't comfortable, it's comforting. Good luck in your search. I'm 6-2, 260 with big paws toos, and the P238 is pretty comfy to shoot.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mentioned .380. If you are looking for some that small I think the M&P 9 C will be too big for your taste. People seem to like the LCP, I have pretty big paws too and to be honest I HATE every .380 I've encountered. Have you looked into a Walther PPK or similar US copy? I had a Glock 23 which i really liked, but traded stupidly on a shotgun. Glock 23 for me concealed very easy and I am 5'11" and 135lbs. If you are any bigger, you could likely conceal a G23 or M&P C (C is for compact btw) comfortably and shoot it more comfortably/better too. M&P 9 C is about the same size, that is more the size that I would personally be looking into for my own comfort level and hand size but you mentioned .380's so I cant be of any help there.

THERE IS AN LCP FS ON THIS SITE RIGHT NOW!!!

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm most certainly not wedded to a particular caliber. Ideally I'd like a .45 ACP pistol.

Not sure I can swing that money-wise right now. From reading comments here and elsewhere I suspect I too will not be happy with the feel of the LCP or similar sized pistols.

I looked at some handguns last year. I was not thinking CCW at the time. I wanted a reliable quality small caliber gun to just shoot with. I held every .22 semi in Academy. The only one I liked at all was the Browning Buckmark Camper. The rest felt really awful in my hands. Unforch the Camper just seems too physically big for carry and too small of a round to make me feel comfortable in the event I might actually have to use my pistol in an emergency.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got to disagree ... your CCW should be very comfortable, to the point you almost forget it's there. or there's a good chance your CCW may not be on your person if/when you need it.

Concealed carry isn't comfortable, it's comforting. .

Last edited:

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My favorite carry is my Glock 19. 15 rounds,very reliable and compact enough where it is comfortable. A good holster can make all the difference. Go to the range or get with several different people and try firing several different pistols. Mke sure that YOU are comfortable with your decision.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would look at the Ruger LC9, Kel-Tec PF9, Sig P238, Karr CM9. If your just looking for a pocket pistol I would seriously look at the 9mm as opposed to .380. Besides there are several out there that are almost as small as the small .380 guns. I find a 1911 style gun is really comfortable to carry and they make several of those in a micro 3 in barrel and it comes in a .45....go out and shot all the guns you are thinking about purchasing and decide what fits you best.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to decide how and where you will carry. Meaning, how your chosen wardrobe will let you carry a particular size pistol, most of the time? And if it won't, are you comfortable making the choice of not carrying?

The three basic sizes of pistols for carry would be (for brevity I will not touch on the Full, Glock 21 or 1911 size):

Pocket - This is your LCP, TCP, PK380, KelTec P3AT size pistol. The advantage is it is infinitely more easy to carry that others, as you can just throw it in your pocket and go. The limitations are that they have a learning curve to shoot (due to smaller grips and surprising recoil due to low weight). Also they are pretty much .380 or smaller on caliber. I own an LCP and it is my "all the time" gun. I love it.

Subcompact - These are the M&Pc, Glock 26/27, Walther PPS, and most Kahr pistols (some can pocket a Kahr). They are a fair amount larger, and often double stack. They are usually best carried IWB or OWB, and cover well with minimal wardrobe due to the shorter grips. They allow for a larger caliber (usually up to .40, though some .45 are available). They are generally the smallest you can get with "real gun" features (real sights, slide locks, etc.) The disadvantages are they do not fit in a pocket so sometimes you may be inclined to not carry it. Also, the Compact pistols are not too much larger so some see the subcompact as an extraneous size (I sold my Glock 26 as I can usually carry my XD if I were carrying it, and if not I took my LCP anyway).

Compact - These are your compact or "standard" size pistols, such as an XD Service, Glock 19 (or Glock 30 IMHO), HK P30. Pretty much those smaller pistols that still allow a three finger grip. They are the easiest to shoot due to size and grip, still carry fairly well IWB or OWB, available in the full range of calibers. The disadvantage is that they require the most effort to carry, due to their heft.

This is by no means conclusive, but you need to think these things before selecting your conceal weapon. Me? I carry an LCP at least 5 days a week as my XD Service is too large to carry in my work wardrobe. But I do keep the XD in my computer bag. On weekends, I carry which ever my wardrobe allows (I can carry the XD in shorts and a tee if I am not doing a lot of physical activity). For one "do it all" gun, I would say Glock 26 or similar. But if you plan on getting more than one for your carry rotation (as I have done), I would say Glock 19 or similar then a pocket pistol later.

And if you go Glock (not saying you should or shouldn't), you can join the GSSF and get a Glock at the LEO price once per year.

Hope this helps.

-Kasey

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom