Need some guidance on a carry pistol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am NOT an expert but a good friend of mine really likes her Springfield XD-9 sub compact. 3" barrel. Came with two mags....a 13 shot shorty and one with the pinky extension. I have shot it a few times and liked ti.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite carry is my Glock 19. 15 rounds,very reliable and compact enough where it is comfortable. A good holster can make all the difference. Go to the range or get with several different people and try firing several different pistols. Mke sure that YOU are comfortable with your decision.

That was what I was going to say as well. The G 19 is my favorite semi-auto pistol.

Hey, GC, how ya been?

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my LCP every day and I love it. I have been waivering on getting the LC9 but I don't want to give up my LCP (I'm a poor boy, gotta sell one to get another). It is fixing to get very hot and having a pistol tucked in my waistband drives me nuts in the heat. Its so much nicer to just throw it in my pocket and go.

It takes some getting used to when shooting it but after 3-4 mags I figured it out. I don't take it out and put 100 rounds thru it on a weekly basis but I shoot it enough to stay familar with it.

Go to a gun shop or academy and play with a few. Once you get your hands on a few options you will know what works best for you.

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kahr cm9. hand down. i have had the p380, cw9 with crimson trace, glock 23(compact), glock 27(sub compact), lcp with crimson trace. this cm9 is by far and i mean far the best CCW that i have ever carried. its thin, reliable, light, and has enough rds to do what you need it to do in a self def. situation. this is just my opinion, and hope it might help you out. good luck on what you decide to go with! p.s. check out the kahrs. i think you will like them. they can be up to 1/2" thinner than alot of guns. you can get into a cm9 for around 450 out the door, and the cw9 around 370ish i think. anyways good luck!

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the input. Comfort is a big consideration here. I wear belts and usually have a pullover shirt like a Polo or T-shirt, not tucked in. So IWB or 'smartcarry' are my likely carry means.

I'm off for the rest of the day and am going to have lunch then go to Academy and do some fondling. I'll also have a look at some of the pawn shops.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go check out a Glock 26, Kahr, or maybe a M&P9c. The main thing is to go handle a few and see what fits you. I would not rush into one. You need one that feels good, easy to carry, and that is going to work if you need it. That is why I like the Glock 26

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just need to decide if your everyday carry is in the waist or the pocket? I personally don't like having a pistol in my waist all day, unless I'm standing the whole time. So for me I prefer to carry the LCP in a pocket. Very lightweight and concealable. As far as pocket guns go, the kahr p380 is at the top. Then the CM9. These two are also the same size. The CM is about 5-6oz heavier, but its a 9mm instead of the 380. And its also cheaper. I chopped down the grip on my glock 19 to conceal better, I will probably carry it when its colder and I can conceal it better.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...looking for something that will be not miserable to carry, reliable and not terribly spendy....

A Smith & Wesson 642 or 442 is very easy to carry, extremely reliable, and can be found for under $450 easily. If you have very large hands, you may want to put on some aftermarket stocks, but I don't have a problem shooting mine with the factory rubber stocks. It can be carried in a front pocket if needed, IWB or OWB and works great in a smartcarry.

As of now, though, my favorite carry pistol is a Beretta PX4 subcompact. I carry mostly appendix IWB and have no trouble concealing it with just a T-shirt or polo. It is roughly the same size as the previously mentioned xd subcompact, M&Pc, or G26/G27.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need one that feels good, easy to carry, and that is going to work if you need it.

And that is exactly what made my choice easy today.

I just got home with a new Walther PK380. It has some very minor wear showing on both sides of the take down lever. Academy took 10% off for that. Less than $400 out the door with two boxes of Federal ammo.

As soon as I put it in my hand it felt 'just right'.

The LCP was simply too small for me to handle.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. I have zero regrets with this purchase.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom