Need to shell some pecans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are paper shells. Not as big as the ones my MIL’s tree produced but still pretty good sized. I’ve got about half of a five gallon bucket so far. This wind should really help bring some more down.
If you will fertilize the tree now and at bud break in the spring you will increase your production and can help trees from becoming alternate bearing. Have some Sevin SL for the pecan weevils and couple of fungicide for scab and your set.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An automated cracker by someone who knows how to adjust it is money well spent.

Professional crackers strike the nuts from the ends at high speed, shattering the shells.
The stroke is controlled to prevent crushing of the meat. The hand crackers I have use of similar design work well.

Tips -

Sort your nuts by tree as you gather them. That keeps the size consistent and lets the cracker dial in the machine a bit better.

Crack a few nuts by hand and see how it goes. As the nuts dry the meat separates from the shell more easily and the shells get more brittle. If you don't have the moisture right when you start cracking you get a mess. Get it right and they crack easily, the meat falls out of the shells and you get full halves almost every time. It can take a few weeks of sitting in a paper bag in the corner of the house for them to dry. You will see the difference. Don't take your nuts to a cracker until the samples are cracking well.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know someone that has a pecan orchard on their property with several different varieties and they don't harvest any of them. The pecans just go to the bugs and occasional deer.

It about drives me crazy seeing all those pecans go to waste. I've offered to take care of the trees and harvest them but they have no interest in it.

I had a chance to buy 80 acres with 300 large pecans trees when I was a young man for $1000 an acre. It came with a barn full of processing equipment including a tractor with the shaker attachment and an old small but livable farmhouse. I've always regretted not buying that place.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
National Pie Day GIF by Southern Baked Pie Company

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An automated cracker by someone who knows how to adjust it is money well spent.

Professional crackers strike the nuts from the ends at high speed, shattering the shells.
The stroke is controlled to prevent crushing of the meat. The hand crackers I have use of similar design work well.

Tips -

Sort your nuts by tree as you gather them. That keeps the size consistent and lets the cracker dial in the machine a bit better.

Crack a few nuts by hand and see how it goes. As the nuts dry the meat separates from the shell more easily and the shells get more brittle. If you don't have the moisture right when you start cracking you get a mess. Get it right and they crack easily, the meat falls out of the shells and you get full halves almost every time. It can take a few weeks of sitting in a paper bag in the corner of the house for them to dry. You will see the difference. Don't take your nuts to a cracker until the samples are cracking well.
That is for sure. A drying time will allow the bitters to separate from the meat. The shells will crack easier and provide full halves. I have a small fan to help the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom