Need to shell some pecans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If any of you have just one, two, or a few pecan trees and want to get a harvest I suggest you go to this website. I have 2 Stuart trees that MIL planted in 1978. As of about 2014 maybe harvested 20-30 pecans. The pecan weevils, crows, squirrels, weather, etc. would prevent any pecans for me. After reading up on pecans from this website I got both trees producing every year and get almost 100 % from each tree every year now. This year is light on production but it's good enough for my family. Got 3 Kanza and 3 Pawnee planted couple years ago and they are doing great. Go to the web version and search and/or read his blog from years of expert pecan blog. Warning pecan overload!!!!! Northern Pecans

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite tree is having a good year. I’d like to shell them myself but don’t know what device to get. What’s the best cracker in you guys opinion?
I miss having a pecan tree. I’m worse than the squirrels. Those little tree rats would stare at me and squint their eyes with hate.

I never used anything fancy. Just one of those metal hinged ones or one of the cups that had a twist screw handle and would crush them. Always been a labor of love. Fresh pecans cannot be beat. I’ve never had any out of a store that tasted good and fresh.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know someone that has a pecan orchard on their property with several different varieties and they don't harvest any of them. The pecans just go to the bugs and occasional deer.

It about drives me crazy seeing all those pecans go to waste. I've offered to take care of the trees and harvest them but they have no interest in it.

I had a chance to buy 80 acres with 300 large pecans trees when I was a young man for $1000 an acre. It came with a barn full of processing equipment including a tractor with the shaker attachment and an old small but livable farmhouse. I've always regretted not buying that place.
OMG. That would have paid for itself. Not that it will ever happen, but I wish I could stumble across an opportunity like that. A nice chunk of land and a ton of pecan trees.

I’d be in pecan pie heaven and this fat boy would be getting fatter

Latest posts

Top Bottom