Needing a hunting rifle for my son

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need some input on what would be a good starter rifle for my son. He has successfully passed his hunter's safety course and has been shooting with me on numerous occasions. The place we will hunt is privately owned in north central oklahoma. Most hunting will be done from several different stands we have placed on the 100+ acre place. I have taken many deer off there over the past 5+ years. Most of my shots were 100 yards or less although there are plenty of places to shoot 200 yards. I've never found it necessary to take one of those shots as the deer are plentiful. What caliber/mfg/model can you recommend? He is 9 years old and average size.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have not shot it yet, but my neighbor has a single shot .243 for his 9 year old. I am working up some loads for him, so I can let you know how it shoots before too long.

The other thing to consider, is the youth model bolt action .243 rifles you can find. If you look for the name brands, then you can later buy an aftermarket full size stock as your kid grows.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.300 Ultra Mag!!!!
Perfect all around gun ;)

J/k... Just to toss out a caliber, you can never go wrong with a .243 win. Remington Model 700 sps is a good gun with a relatively cheeper price tag. I believe they make a youth model as well??? Another good one I'd go for would be savage 110 (model). But with the .243 you can get loads that are great for deer and load them all the way down for coyotes and prairie dogs. At the ranges you will be shooting it would be a tough caliber to beat, and they are a pleasure to shoot (recoil and accuracy).

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.300 Ultra Mag!!!!
Perfect all around gun ;)

J/k... Just to toss out a caliber, you can never go wrong with a .243 win. Remington Model 700 sps is a good gun with a relatively cheeper price tag. I believe they make a youth model as well??? Another good one I'd go for would be savage 110 (model). But with the .243 you can get loads that are great for deer and load them all the way down for coyotes and prairie dogs. At the ranges you will be shooting it would be a tough caliber to beat, and they are a pleasure to shoot (recoil and accuracy).

I looked at Bass Pro and Academy today. I told the counter guys that I wanted to look at a .308 in a youth model for my son. It was a joke but Bass Pro actually had one. I don't want him scared to shoot the weapon because of the recoil. Academy had an H&R single shot with a scope in both a .223 and .243 but I'm not sure about the reliability and accuracy of this rifle. The Rem or Savage may be a better alternative in the .243

rrd101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
243 or 7mm08 are good starter guns Once you find a rifle look for a used stock to cut down to fit
Then when he grows into something bigger put the frist stock back on. Easier to trade with full size stock
and easier to shoot with a stock that fits

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to be completely different and suggest a lever action in 357 magnum. You can load it up or down depending on his needs and recoil tolerance. You can even shoot 38 special for very mild recoil. It will light up a deer out to 200 yards. You could go with a .30-30 for a little more energy and velocity to reach out further. I think a Marlin 336 would make a great first gun.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to be completely different and suggest a lever action in 357 magnum. You can load it up or down depending on his needs and recoil tolerance. You can even shoot 38 special for very mild recoil. It will light up a deer out to 200 yards. You could go with a .30-30 for a little more energy and velocity to reach out further. I think a Marlin 336 would make a great first gun.

I agree with this.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was his age, my old man got me started deer hunting with a Remington 742 Woodmaster chambered in 30-06. I remember it had a pretty good kick to it, but I couldn't wait to shoot it every time we went to the range. It has a special place in my safe now.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think a Marlin 336 would make a great first gun.

I agree.

Get an older Marlin with JM stamped on the barrel. These usually cost less than the "new" ones, and are a lot better quality than the "Remlins".

The Glenfield 30A is a Marlin 336 with a different stock, and should be less expensive than the 336. A good quality rifle.

I own one of each, a 336 in 30-30, and a 30A in 30-30.

Latest posts

Top Bottom