Needing a hunting rifle for my son

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howa makes a great .243 that comes with a youth stock and a full-size stock. Great set-up, really high quality rifle, and he can keep using it as he grows.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CZ Model 527 in 7.62x39mm. It is a wel-made bolt action carbine that is very light and handy, and it won't beat him to death with recoil. Plus, it is very inexpensive to shoot. I have one and I absolutely love it.

The 7.62 round is about the equivalent in power of the .30-30 Winchester.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started my son then 11 on a Howa 1500 youth like ExSniper said in a 243, and my nephew cause he wanted it a Rossi break over in a 243. Turns out that is one of my favorite rifles. Both are great and don't count out the 243 my sone's first deer weighed 260lbs and he only went 40 yards.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct answer is Marlin XS7y in 7mm-08.

Perfect fit for a smaller person, perfect caliber, great trigger ... $300.

Well, if the fit is not "perfect" - Boyd's makes stock for those under $100.
And if the 7mm-08 is somehow not "perfect" - it is a switch barrel.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
6mm in a remington model 7, for my daughter. I have a couple of friend who have tried the H/R and NEF and they're ok buy the triggers are TERRIBLE!! Their accuracy improved greatly when they switched over to a bolt gun (savage) shooting a .243 and a ar-15 shooting 6.5 grendel. Triggers made all the difference and their confidence improved as well. Marlin lever gun as mentioned above is hard to beat.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6mm in a remington model 7, for my daughter. I have a couple of friend who have tried the H/R and NEF and they're ok buy the triggers are TERRIBLE!! Their accuracy improved greatly when they switched over to a bolt gun (savage) shooting a .243 and a ar-15 shooting 6.5 grendel. Triggers made all the difference and their confidence improved as well. Marlin lever gun as mentioned above is hard to beat.

I've heard some accuracy and reliabilty issues with the H&R and NEF guns and will likely stay away from them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom