Needing a hunting rifle for my son

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering a Savage Axis XP Youth 243 from cheaperthandirt.com
I can't see anything in the description about the trigger. Do these have the Accu-trigger?

My son killed his first buck this year with an axis (not youth) in 25-06. It got the job done and it was pretty accurate. My stepfather bought it for him and it was dead on out of the box. I was very impressed with its accuracy. The trigger is not accutrigger and its not the best but it got the job done. One shot one kill....so far.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?131021-My-Son-s-First-Deer

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recomend a rifle / caliber he could grow into and be able to hunt almost any game in North America with... as a adult. Having a hunting rifle as a adult that his father gave him as a boy.. will mean even more to him when he takes 'his' son or grandson hunting with it years from now.

I suggest a Bolt action Savage 110 or 111 30-06...or else a Ruger..... shooting 'low recoil' ammunition. The new Federal low recoil ammo is reported to have 50% of the recoil of a full powered load... but because of the type of bullet being used it has the same ballistics / impact point as the full size loads @ 100-200 yds. So, select a rifle he can hunt with as a man... just use low recoil ammo while he is small.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_low_recoil.htm

"The .30-06 loads are roughly similar in performance to the traditional 170 grain .30-30 load (170 grain flat-SP bullet at a MV of 2200 fps)."

http://www.ruger.com/search/

I recomend staying away from the Axis and the Edge.. spend just a few bucks more and go with the better 111... I think you can get one for $350-$400 from Cheaper than Dirt. Just gotta catch one in stock... because they are very popular and sell out quickly.

I have one that I bought during the holidays last year for a big holiday discount. It doesn't have the accue trigger... but it is a good well made shooter and very accurite. I put on a better scope and put the one it came with on my .22 Savage bolt action.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/..._id/78118/Savage+111+HUNTER+XP+3006+BUSHNELL]

Last edited:

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will you adopt me ... please. I wish I had a dad that thought "first hunting rifle" = "$1000" :thumb:

I started my oldest son with a pre ban Colt SP1 carbine in .223. I plugged a clip so that it only held 5 rounds. It was light enough and short enough to use as a "youth model". It had a 4 power scope on a carry handle mount. I think that it was perfect for a small hunter. The SP1 carbine is lighter than most of today's AR type guns. It didn't cost me anything close to $1000.

This even fits the post just above. A lightweight AR carbine would be good for him when he grows up too.

S

Siglawmen

I'm prolly going to catch flac for this, but I say an ar-15 in 223, it has an adjustable stock for growing, it's fun for coyotes and plinking and simple enough for anyone to use.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hands down the 243, very mild rifle that will do many applications not just deer hunting. Just sold my ol' model 70 winchester to a buddy for his son's first rifle. The boy was 10. I got to hand it to him and watch him shoot it. Very big smile.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with dave 2012

I'd recomend a rifle / caliber he could grow into and be able to hunt almost any game in North America with... as a adult. Having a hunting rifle as a adult that his father gave him as a boy.. will mean even more to him when he takes 'his' son or grandson hunting with it years from now.

I bought my son a 7-08 remington model 7 youth. I reload so I used hodgdons youth reload data for h4895 see link
http://hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf

if you reload you can go with alot of different calibers. The savage accutriger is great my son wants another 7-08 in a savage. He is 15 now & has taken a good # of deer of public land with his remington model 7. Nothing wrong with a 243 but if he wants to hunt Elk later in life he can still use the rifle dad bought him. Or buy another rifle in a larger cal if you want later down the road, Ah now thats an idea another rifle to the collection. so many decisions good luck

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
this has been hashed over a few times but i just recently shot a mossberg 243 youth that my brother picked up for my nephew. this is the third mossberg ATR i have shot. 270,30-06 and the243 are straight up the most accurate,out of the box,budget guns i have fired.

Latest posts

Top Bottom