Needing a hunting rifle for my son

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callison76

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say 90% of the deer I have taken in Oklahoma have been with a .223. I have never lost a deer, in fact I have never had a deer run more than 10 yards after hitting them with a 68gr BTHP from Black Hills (I know on the box it says not for medium or large game). Most of the deer I have shot just buckled, and when dressing them everything north of the diaphragm has been jelly (sorry, not trying to be to graphic). A buddy of mine in McAlester, every year, his daughter drops very nice deer with a .223. I would stay away from the H&R or NEF rifles due to accuracy but there are some nice rifles available even on a budget.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was his age, my old man got me started deer hunting with a Remington 742 Woodmaster chambered in 30-06. I remember it had a pretty good kick to it, but I couldn't wait to shoot it every time we went to the range. It has a special place in my safe now.

My grandpa gave me his Remington 742 Woodmaster chambered in 30-06 when I was 15. I love that rifle, and still own it to this day. I still hunt with it every year.

You really can't beat a 243 or 223 for a kid to learn to shoot with. We've got a few of the Rossi Youth Rifles in stock that come with three barrels. I've got a few Marlin 30-30's in stock, and one of the new Mossberg Tactical 30-30 lever action rifle.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started my daughter with a Contender carbine. Hers is in 7-30 Waters but a .30-30 barrel is easier to come by. Fairly cheap to set up but has a great trigger and the youth stock fits well. The later model Encore is easier to find but I cannot comment on the trigger. Encores have more barrel options as well....such as .243. What ever you chose, make sure it has a good trigger and is easy on the shooter. Avoid the bad habits early.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started all my kids on a 243, they all still shoot the same round except for one that got herself a 270 now. When the Marlin X series rifles came out we got each one a XS7 with a scope. I floated the barrels and changed the trigger guard to a metal one, for $350 each with the scope it was the best bang for the buck, the plus side is these rifles use the old Remington 788 action and use Savage barrels and pro-trigger. The rifle can be rebarreled cheap to other calibers and they drive tacks.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a .270WIN Mossberg 100 ATR I am looking to offload with a Nikon Prostaff scope already on it and mounted. I'll sell ya the rifle, scope, sling, reloading dies, brass and the store bought loaded ammo I have for it for $325.

.270WIN might be a little more kick than you want but I had buddies in highschool who started on .270's as well. Boyd's now makes stocks for this rifle for around $100 so custom fitment to a smaller framed person wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Last edited:

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a .270WIN Mossberg 100 ATR I am looking to offload with a Nikon Prostaff scope already on it and mounted. I'll sell ya the rifle, scope, sling, reloading dies, brass and the store bought loaded ammo I have for it for $325.

.270WIN might be a little more kick than you want but I had buddies in highschool who started on .270's as well. Boyd's now makes stocks for this rifle for around $100 so custom fitment to a smaller framed person wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Very tempting but I think that's too much caliber for him. The ATRs are a good starter gun and well worth the price. I don't want him to be scared to pull the trigger. He's shot pellet guns and .22s and he's been with me when siting in my .270 but I don't believe it would be a good fit. Thanks for the offer, if I didn't already own a .270 I would jump on it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I started all my kids on a 243, they all still shoot the same round except for one that got herself a 270 now. When the Marlin X series rifles came out we got each one a XS7 with a scope. I floated the barrels and changed the trigger guard to a metal one, for $350 each with the scope it was the best bang for the buck, the plus side is these rifles use the old Remington 788 action and use Savage barrels and pro-trigger. The rifle can be rebarreled cheap to other calibers and they drive tacks.

Huh? They have locking lugs in the rear?

Latest posts

Top Bottom