Never Forget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
23 years ago today my new wife and I were starting off our first official day of our honeymoon in Cancun. We flew in the night before, but this was the first full day. I had gotten up and taken a shower and my wife was finishing up hers when, out of habit, I turned on the TV while I got ready for the days plans. I ended up on CNN because it was the first English speaking station that I found. At first I thought I was watching a trailer for some new disaster movie, but after a short while I realized this was no trailer. I had just watched a replay of the first plane hitting the World Trade Center. She had finished her shower and I called her out to look at what I was watching. She got there just in time for us to both watch the 2nd plane hit the World Trade Center. We both stood there in complete and utter shock, trying to figure out what the hell was going on.
Most of that day was spent with us trying to grasp what had happened (and was still happening). We worried that our friends Wayne and Aimee, who were on vacation in New York at the time, may have been hurt or worse (thankfully, while they were in the area, they were not harmed in the attacks). We worried what was going to happen next. Once we heard that all flights into and out of the US had been cancelled, we began to worry what we were going to do.
It took a lot of effort on both our parts to try to put what was going on back home out of our mind and try to actually enjoy the rest of our (soon to be extended) stay in Mexico and our honeymoon. It was difficult, but it was our honeymoon and we were determined to enjoy it.

Needless to say, "what were you doing when it happened" is pretty much burned into our minds and we will never forget that day.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've told this short story before, I might as well tell it again.

I was working for STG Security Technologies Group out of Wichita. Our office was at the Mid Continent Airport as this was our biggest account and we had a contract with them for a 1 hour response time to any service calls.

I had started my day early by grabbing my tools and a few batteries and drove to El Dorado to the Texaco Refinery to fix the access controls at the main gate and look at the arm motor. The motor needed a new belt which was easy, and the gate just needed a battery. All was up and running and I left about 8:45 for Wichita.

The only day I ever slipped a CD into my player was on the way back because I was feeling so good about my two calls I was rockin out on the way back to the office.

About 10 miles from Wichita my co-worker, Jim, called and asked if I was listening to the radio in my truck. I said no and he said turn it on and listen. I asked what station and he said, any, it doesn't matter. I turned the radio on and Jim was describing what had happened. He was at the airport police comm center and the airport was on stage two lockdown. He said a plane hit one of the towers at the WTC in New York. I immediately thought of the bomber that hit the Empire State Building and the fog that caused it and asked if it was foggy there. He said no, it was a clear day. Then he said Oh My God! Another plane just hit the other tower! I said, "Buddy, we're at war!"

He said just get back here quickly, we have work to do.

When I got back planes were coming in to land and about 30 in holding patterns waiting on the runways to clear. The planes were being stacked on the tarmac nut to butt and no one was getting off of them. The cops called in reinforcements. It was quite a sight to see and no sounds except the weak sounds of about a hundred planes idling.

Stage two meant you had to present an access card plus a PIN number assigned only to the person. It also restricted many people from entering the gates such as delivery drivers with access cards. It also created 2 access gates that were entry-only and exit-only and manned by airport police.

The FBI arrived and set up comms at the comm center with an FAA rep next to them.

I called the wifey in Hutch. That was a long couple of days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom