New 1911 purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not yet but I am going to buy a new carry 1911 in 45ACP and wondered if I should steer away from the officers sized guns (like Kimber Ultra)? I have heard that they can be more finicky than the commander or full sized. Anyone noticed such a thing first hand?

Actually Kimber makes a "compact" which is the officers grip but with a 4" barrel like a commander. Wilson and others make similar guns.

What say ye?

BC

jwdizney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my favorite carry has become a 4" 1911. full size grips (government). it tucks IWB nicely with an FBI cant at about 3-3:30. it also hides easily under a long shirt owb with a high ride holster. my 5" hides easily as well in this configuration and there is really no noticeable difference, other than weight. i've carried an XD SC that was FAR more uncomfortable to wear. it's just my own opinion, but the 1911 carries more comfortably than anything else i've tried. and for me, the more comfortable, the more likely i'll have it on me, rather than in the car, drawer, etc.... Of course, this will probably arouse the age old "steel gun vs. plastic gun" debate....:popcorn:

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should point out I already have a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm but I want to get a .45.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_PA130006.jpg

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one?

[Broken External Image]

Nope, the scandium is black... I don't think you can get it in any other color. I would love to have one of the scandium/titanium 357 mag revolvers... but boy are they high. Never seen a 1911 in the scandium in person though... but I'd love too.

Personally, I'd check out a hybrid... officer frame, Commander slide.

Nighthawk has all kinds of options! :)

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a kimber ultra cdp, i have put several hundred rounds through it. they do not like some hollow point ammo. Eric at ops in tulsa tuned it up for me, and now it shoots pretty much any hollow point. (except spear gold dot ) I have several other 1911,s, colt,s&w,kimber pro,sa, none of them are as comfortable to carry than the kimber ultra 3". good luck on whatever you choose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom