New 1911 purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had kimber ultra carry, it was a jam-o-matic. I have had a kimber compact for a quite some time. The compact has over 3000 rounds with probably 5 FTF. I would stay away from a 1911 with under a 4" barrel.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the kimber ultra carry is built a little different than the ultra cdp or ultra covert, the cdp and covert are custom shop guns.after ops tuned it up, i shot over 200 rounds through it at medlocks with no issues.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not yet but I am going to buy a new carry 1911 in 45ACP and wondered if I should steer away from the officers sized guns (like Kimber Ultra)? I have heard that they can be more finicky than the commander or full sized. Anyone noticed such a thing first hand?
. . .
BC
The shorter the barrel (and hence slide mass) becomes, the more difficult it is to get 100% dependability. The butt is harder to hide than the slide anyway. A lightweight commander length is probably the best compromise for your purpose, in ease of carry and dependability.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might want to look at a CCO pistol, officer sized frame on a commander slide. Dan Wesson makes one, and it's a SIGNIFICANT step above a Kimber.

okieglock83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might want to look at a CCO pistol, officer sized frame on a commander slide. Dan Wesson makes one, and it's a SIGNIFICANT step above a Kimber.

I never really like CCO sized guns for some reason but that new DW is one sweet piece, and if it's anything like the other DW 1911's I've handled/shot its a GREAT buy for the price!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If I do get another 1911, it will be a full size. The difference between the officers grip, and full size is significant, but not a deal breaker. And if you are looking for light weight, then there are better guns for that than a 1911.

But, if I was going to carry a 1911 everyday, I'd be looking at a 4.25" (commander) slide, with a bobtailed grip, either full or officers.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nope, the scandium is black... I don't think you can get it in any other color. I would love to have one of the scandium/titanium 357 mag revolvers... but boy are they high. Never seen a 1911 in the scandium in person though... but I'd love too.

Personally, I'd check out a hybrid... officer frame, Commander slide.

Nighthawk has all kinds of options! :)

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/

I have one of the old silver scandium S&W 1911 commander length,and commander slide on an officers frame hybrid put together by Nowlin.I like both but the Nowlin is much smoother,and the S&W is lighter.I usually carry the S&W for the weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom