New project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I machined the hubs down using an angle grinder and the hub mounted on the axle while spinning it by hand and installed the tone rings.

BB81B075-1ABA-4B9F-AA83-9A35209E7BFB.jpeg

2F1D4D57-3875-4FB6-AD2B-5215457A2133.jpeg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m debating on starting with the factory steering and tying the ford drag link end with a Jeep drop pitman arm.

There’s a couple aftermarket options. Weld on steering arms, having the knuckle top machined to accept top mounted steering arms or Reid racing knuckles with top mounted steering arms.

My primary issue with all the after market alternatives is wheel clearance. Maximum backspacing is 4.25”. I think I want to run as much backspacing as possible to lessen the extra axle width. 71.25” WMS with the Ford vs. 65.5” with the JK axles. Measuring my factory JK wheels, there is 6" of backspacing. The factory Ford steel wheel backspacing is 5.75". I am already gaining 6" of extra axle width. I found some cheap factory steel wheels to use for weld on beadlocks if I end up going that direction.

Another issue is the tierod attachment. The tie rod will interfere with the differential cover. You cannot run a straight tie rod in the factory location without it hitting the cover.
Weld-on:
upload_2020-7-1_13-21-5.png

Machining the Knuckle:
upload_2020-7-1_13-23-2.png

Reid Racing:
upload_2020-7-1_13-24-9.png

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's never easy to just change one thing without creating a list of other issues to research.

What diameter wheel are you planning on running?

Isn't that the truth! In politics its called unintended consequences.

The wheels I found are 17" and I can run my current 35" tires. I may eventually try to run 40"s tires.

I can already tell that the factory 3.8 liter is going to cut it, unfortunately. That's a whole different can of worms!

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you are already working on the details to complete an LS, Hemi or R2.8 Diesel swap?

I'll be interested to see how you wrap up that project.

Latest posts

Top Bottom