New tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run the MIchelans on the F-250 in 10 ply to pull the RV. I got 60,000 out of the first set and running up on 20,000 on the second set with no appreciable wear showing yet. All terrain tires that have done well and are silent going down the road.
I could have easily got another 5000 miles from the first set but with a multi state trip coming over a couple of months, decided to get them changed out early so we wouldn't be at the mercy of some tire dealer we don't know.
The dealer at home does free repair and rotation if we buy from him for the life of the tires.
I know a guy that got 80 or 90 thousand out of a set of those on his hot shot truck

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy that got 80 or 90 thousand out of a set of those on his hot shot truck
I think it's the only tire for a light truck that carries a 70K warranty. I'm pretty sure if we hadn't been hauling 14,000+ lbs over every mountain pass in the Rocky's, we could have nursed them out to 80K.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a set of ATs that I bought at Discount Tire. They are only sold by them, like their signature brand. I like them, a little noisy but to me, not bad. They were cheaper than the others also. I'll post the name of them later.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Noisy off road tires can be determined by just looking at the side tread layout.
Look at these side treads they are all evenly spaced or should I say exactly the same.

noisy tires.png

Now look at some of the other tires and notice the side treads are not all the same.
If you offset a tread or 2 like make the pattern in 2's or 3's then you do not get evenly spaced treads on the side and that road noise is greatly reduced.

It is like a fan with evenly spaced blades---- very noisy.
Build the fan with an offset blade pattern and it will be much quieter.

You are breaking the constant wind flow and that reduces noise.
I run flex fans on my V8 engines for cooling but mine have offset blades and are quiet.

You get evenly spaced fan blades they will talk to you.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out of your listed options I’d vote Toyo. I know a couple people who swear by them. Great tires no doubt

BUT!.. If you want quiet and smooth just ditch the A/T stuff and get a normal highway tire. Oh it may not LOOK as cool, but let’s be honest… 90% of AT and MT tires never leave pavement anyway. Does your wife ever engage 4x4? Do y’all live off rural muddy roads?

I’m currently running 10ply BFG k02s on my Tacoma and love them. They’re bumpy rough and loud but I trust them when I’m on the trails with the rear locker engaged climbing over rocks.

We had Goodyear duratrac at’s on my wife’s sequoia for a while but switched back to highway tread because she didn’t like the noise and rough ride of the ATs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom