New to revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love K-frame Smith's. Nothing finer in the world... but I also love the GP100. I've fancied Ruger for the last decade or so. The best trigger job I've seen so far is just pulling the trigger... over, and over, and over, ect... for a long time. Thousands of dry fires really smoothed mine out quite a bit.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The smith 19 or 66 is tough to beat at a decent price. The 586 and 686's are climbing a bit in price. That said, the 686 6 inch is an awesome range gun.I like blue and wood though. here's a 586 no dash to help you jump in to revolvers!

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The smith 19 or 66 is tough to beat at a decent price. The 586 and 686's are climbing a bit in price. That said, the 686 6 inch is an awesome range gun.I like blue and wood though. here's a 586 no dash to help you jump in to revolvers!
I got one just like that. I can't imagine a better revolver, and that DOES include them shiny overpriced Pythons.

LeatherDoctor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thats a very nice piece! Something about the blue with wood

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drove into Tulsa today to do some looking around. Went to several shops, but the selection was pretty small except for CCW models. I know it makes me a bad person, but on the way out of town I stopped by the gun show at the fairgrounds. The second table I stopped by had a blue GP100 Wiley Clapp, and after an inspection and some fondling, I started doing the paperwork.

What a sweet little revolver! I have .357 ammo on order, but I did run some .38sp through it...after several rounds I realized there was almost no recoil. Can't wait to run some magnum loads through it. I prefer shooting steel instead of paper, so I can't speak to how well it groups, but hitting 8" plates at 10-15 yards in DA was just too easy. I really like the Novak fixed rear and brass bead front sights.

Tonight I cleaned/lubed it thoroughly and did just a little light polishing on the trigger. The DA pull is smooth and I like the way you can stage it right before the break. My uncalibrated trigger finger estimates the pull at around 10 pounds. Single action is just awesome...probably 2.5-3#.

All in all, I don't know why I waited this long to get a wheel gun. Now I'm thinking about getting one for carry as well. Then theres the Match Champion, the S&W Model 60 Pro Series...crap, gonna have to start pulling more overtime!

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• image-858465480.jpg
    image-858465480.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1365054849.jpg
    image-1365054849.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drove into Tulsa today to do some looking around. Went to several shops, but the selection was pretty small except for CCW models. I know it makes me a bad person, but on the way out of town I stopped by the gun show at the fairgrounds. The second table I stopped by had a blue GP100 Wiley Clapp, and after an inspection and some fondling, I started doing the paperwork.

What a sweet little revolver! I have .357 ammo on order, but I did run some .38sp through it...after several rounds I realized there was almost no recoil. Can't wait to run some magnum loads through it. I prefer shooting steel instead of paper, so I can't speak to how well it groups, but hitting 8" plates at 10-15 yards in DA was just too easy. I really like the Novak fixed rear and brass bead front sights.

Tonight I cleaned/lubed it thoroughly and did just a little light polishing on the trigger. The DA pull is smooth and I like the way you can stage it right before the break. My uncalibrated trigger finger estimates the pull at around 10 pounds. Single action is just awesome...probably 2.5-3#.

All in all, I don't know why I waited this long to get a wheel gun. Now I'm thinking about getting one for carry as well. Then theres the Match Champion, the S&W Model 60 Pro Series...crap, gonna have to start pulling more overtime!

Thanks for all the help.

When did the GP-100 come out? The reason that I ask is because when I took my LFI class in Long Beach, California in 1985, Massad Ayoob let me dry-fire his Ruger and I want to say that it was a GP-100. It could have been a Security Six but I am thinking it was a GP-100. Anyway, my point is that Ayoob's Ruger had a very good trigger pull on it, so it wouldn't surprise me that yours has a good pull as well.

Anyway, congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure that you'll really enjoy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom