Nice Boar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you hunt at night, as long as you don't use a light? I always forget this, and/or I confuse Texas law with Okla. law on this.

No...
"Shooting Hours

One-half hour before official sunrise to one-half hour after official sunset."

Another thing - if you read that carefully, and apply a plain English language interpretation of it, by implication, you ARE allowed to harvest them if they are NOT damaging your property. "No sir, that's not why I'm killing them - I'm just hunting them for food - so that law doesn't apply to me". That'd be a correct legal result, seems to me.

I can't argue with you there... I agree, although I don't think that is how that was intended to be interpreeted. Maybe some poor wording.

As for the deer vs. pig argument, I don't disagree that deer can put a hurt on your crop to a degree, but not to the extent of pigs. Deer aren't putting out three litters a year with 8-12 per litter. A herd of pigs can come in and wipe out a pecan crop nearly over night. And the pecans are usually dropping right at the start of rifle season, which is when the game warden seems to balk at writing out spotlight permits. Can't say as I understand that completely, a poacher is going to spotlight a buck whenever they want, and not wait till rifle season to do it.

Reaction score
Well you make a good point - maybe you're right. :)

Maybe some poor wording.

Yes, and poor wording works in your favor, when you defend a crime accusations. Crimes must be clear and unambiguous to be constitutional and hold you liable for the crime, as they should be. The legislature SHOULD, and usually ARE, held to their poor choice of words, thankfully - but only if you fully litigate it. :)

Remember, for crimes, the gov't has the burden of proving EACH element of the crime. You or your lawyer to the prosecutor: OK, sir, my position is that these swine were not damaging my land. Please PROVE that this pig or this pack of swine were actually "damaging my land". If you cannot prove this element, then you fail to prove the offense. You, the gov't, PROVE that it wasn't a *different* pack of pigs or other animals damaging my land. Do you have photos that it was swine in my fields, and not deer, armadillos, or even bigfoot and chupacabra, or UFOs with Martians that tore up the ground? If so, show them to us, please. They have the burden of proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the swine that you are killing or attempting to kill are "damaging your land". Pretty hard to do, especially if you shoot them way away from your fields, or if they have no photos at all of torn-up ground. Just playin devil's advocate here. :)

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
spoken like a true lawyer! :)

But you did touch on another subject that ticks me off as well. The Wildlife Department seems to do NOTHING about it, and pretty much does not acknowledge that the problem exists to begin with... and that is the chupacabra. You don't hear much about them in the northern part of the state but down here they are a big problem. I didn't notice it in my first post from this morning, but if you look real close, you can catch one in the background of the picture....

[Broken External Image]

Zoomed in for more detail...

[Broken External Image]

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man! thats a biggun!
We just don't have them around here, yet.......I'm sure they are coming.
Let me be specific, we don't have them in my hunting area...Grant county. None around my home in Osage county SE of Ponca but have seen pics of some killed 20 miles from here.

I wouldnt be surprised if they make it to your place before long. My girlfriends dad has a few sections a ways down 9 mile rd and they've already killed a few. I hope to make it out there this weekend and eradicate part of the problem :) :fullauto:

Latest posts

Top Bottom