Nice Boar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man! thats a biggun!
We just don't have them around here, yet.......I'm sure they are coming.
Let me be specific, we don't have them in my hunting area...Grant county. None around my home in Osage county SE of Ponca but have seen pics of some killed 20 miles from here.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very Nice!! Where are you getting the skull mount done? I had a deer skull mount done at www.skullsunlimited.com They do some great work and are located in OKC just a few miles from my house.

I can't believe all the hogs you've been catching. One of my friends used to raise them and he was alway working his but off. I bet he never thought about letting them loose and just collecting them at the end of the season.

What are you doing with all the meat?

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice hog.
Don't believe the smell of blood will scare them away. I have no dought the smell actually lure's them in. I popped two once that had there heads barried in the gut of a dead cow. Also seen them feasting on the guts of other hogs we shot within an hour after we had gutted them. They are like rats they will eat whatever they can get.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very Nice!! Where are you getting the skull mount done? I had a deer skull mount done at www.skullsunlimited.com They do some great work and are located in OKC just a few miles from my house.

I can't believe all the hogs you've been catching. One of my friends used to raise them and he was alway working his but off. I bet he never thought about letting them loose and just collecting them at the end of the season.

What are you doing with all the meat?

Doing the skull mount myself. As for the meat, I was puttin a bullet in their head and piling them up... but that gets to be a big pile of pigs. I found a buyer down here now, so I sold the last bunch. Pays for all my corn and gas and a little cold beer.

As for the debate on shooting them in the trap, yeah I've seen pigs eatin a dead horse or another dead pig too. They'll eat anything. Whether or not they fear the smell of the blood of their own kind, dunno, probably not, but by doing that you are introducing scents that are not normally there. I've had these pigs coming in for a while on corn feeders, that's what they are used to. If I start crawling around in the trap dragging out pigs, leaving my scent, the scent of pig blood, then I have added smells that were not there previously. Pigs are very intelligent, their main defense is smell. Why add to the smell? Transfering them to a catch pen provides live decoys and puts new pigs at ease. When catch pen is full, leave one or two and get rid of the rest. Repeat. I have caught pigs the last 8 out of 10 nights in this one spot. I will continue until they are gone. More will come back in time to take their place, and I will continue the trapping program as needed. I do get enjoyment out of this... lots of it, but my goal is eradication of the entire herd. I don't think people realize how big of a problem pigs are. Just shooting and hunting pigs is not the answer either. Had I gone in and just shot up these pigs the first night or run the dogs through, I'd probably get 2 or 3 and they'd be gone for a while. Well, that is fine for the time being, but they will be back. And in that amount of time they will have multiplied. That is not a viable option for what I am trying to accomplish, that is actually just contributing to the problem. I believe the best answer is a trapping program to quickly get as many as possible without running off the rest of the herd. There are things I would like to change with my program, like a much bigger trap, but just working with what I have for now. And I will now remove myself from the soapbox....

btw, caught four more last night... :)

[Broken External Image]

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Case well stated Roosta. Your program is not broken so don't fix it. The program is working efficiently and you are removing alot of hogs almost effortlessly. The pigs are not wary because they keep coming in and you keep removing them adding no foreign scent. If my math is right you have removed close to 20 pigs in the last 2 weeks and they are still coming. That 80 acre swamp sure must have alot of pigs.

SAVE SOME COLD BEER!!!:drink:

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right on man!! My only question is are you selling live pigs to someone that is releasing them? I personally would never do that because frankly they all need to die. Every last one of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom