Nice Boar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely not. The guy that I am selling to is licensed and inspected by the Department of Agriculture, as are the people that he is selling to. Now they may be released in a confined area, i.e. a hunting ranch, but all of their fences and equipment are inspected and approved. It is a legal and legit operation.

While going through the Feral Swine Control Act, I found an interesting law that I did not know existed. By interesting, I mean completely rediculous. Just another example of how the suits do not comprehend the impact of feral swine. The law states...

"During designated deer hunting seasons for primitive firearms and guns as specified in rules promulgated by the Department of Wildlife Conservation, an owner of private property shall not kill or attempt to kill feral swine during daylight hours that is damaging the property of the owner without first obtaining a special permit from the local game warden or other authorized employee of the Department of Wildlife Conservation. The special permit shall allow the owner and one person of lineal or collateral descent to kill feral swine on the property of the owner. The special permit shall be provided at no cost.
B. All other persons shall be required to obtain licenses and tags as required by the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Code and rules promulgated thereto.
C. Any person with a valid license to hunt deer is exempt from the requirements of this section during the appropriate licensed season."

So say that I am a pecan farmer, wheat farmer, rancher, whatever. Have my own ranch, pecans are dropping as they do in November, pigs are coming in and absolutely devouring my crop, my livelihood, and how I feed my family. During muzzleload and rifle season, I cannot legally kill that animal that is destroying my land and my crops, that is an out of control nuisance in the first place, without purchasing a hunting license, or obtaining a permit from the ODWC.

I'm sorry, but there is no logic in that law to me.

"Well why don't you just go buy a hunting license or get a permit from the ODWC?"

Because that is crap. I shouldn't have to. It is MY land and MY crops. I should be within my legal right to defend it as I deem necessary without jumping through hoops and paying money to someone else. I have dealt with the ODWC on getting spotlight permits during deer season to protect the pecan crop and it is like pulling teeth. I am by far not anti-ODWC or anything else, I think they do a spectacular job on most things. But when it comes to feral swine, rediculous legislation, and not doing enough to actually combat the problem... well, the proof is in the puddin.

Reaction score
Well, I don't see how it's any MORE ridiculous than having to have a license to shoot deer on your own property. Deer that are damaging your crops, for example. At least with pigs, you can get the permission slip for FREE, versus having to PAY to take out the deer damaging your livelihood - so from that perspective, it makes a certain amount of sense.

Of course you understand that the REASON for the rule is to slow down the deer poacher/criminal landowners who would just go out in the field with a gun during deer season.... Game warden comes up - "Whatcha doing?" "Waiting for hogs / culling hogs". "Oh ok, carry on - no license or permit needed." Warden leaves. Guy shoots (poaches) deer with no license. THAT is why they make the law, to (try to) make the unscrupulous have to pay to buy a deer tag and hunting license. It's all under the general guise of "ensuring revenue collection". And it wouldn't be necessary were it not for the folks who would use pigs to circumvent the deer licensing laws. NOW, having said that, if you presented an argument to me that no landowner should have to buy a license or tag for their own land in any event, period, regardless of game or non-game animal sought, and you could convince me of this, then yes, it's utterly ridiculous. :)

In my understanding, getting such a depredation permit is pretty easy to do, and free, so in light of their concern and this fact, it's not *completely* ridiculous, no.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then, of course, we have the universal law of the 3 "S"s. SHOOT..............................SHOVEL..........................SHUTUP.:oops3:Did I say that??? Don't let an attorney hear :bolt:that.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I don't see how it's any MORE ridiculous than having to have a license to shoot deer on your own property. Deer that are damaging your crops, for example. At least with pigs, you can get the permission slip for FREE, versus having to PAY to take out the deer damaging your livelihood - so from that perspective, it makes a certain amount of sense.

I'm not speaking for deer, that is a completely different conversation. I am talking a pig, a non-game animal. If they were serious about making an effort to reduce the pig population, then make laws that encourage people to shoot them, not discourage. Year round, night and day, open season on pigs. Spotlight, silencers, al qaeda, lawn darts, whatever. Regardless of the laws, there are going to be those people that poach, you are never going to prevent that. I may be off a little, but I think at least 95% of your landowners (one of those made up statistics) are going to be hard working law abiding people. They should worry less about those people and more about a real problem.

And getting a depredation permit at the right time is not necessarily easy to do. You have to meet the game warden, they come out to inspect your place and see if there is really a problem, then write a permit on what THEY think is necessary. When I lived out in western Oklahoma, one GW was pretty cool about it and would write us a 30 day permit. Other times, we wanted a permit for when the pecans were on the ground, which is a great time to spotlight them, also happened to be rifle season, and they refused to give us one. After making a few phone calls, the game warden reconsidered and gave us one... for one night. Thanks buddy.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lawn darts???????????????????:laugh6:NOW, THERE IS A CHALLENGE huntin porkers wid a lawn dart. I'll take 2,gotta stay balanced, one in each hand. Does that need a silencer after dark????????????????:drink:

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just one pig in the trap this morning, boar bout 150#. Stupid coons tripped the trigger night before last, so I didn't get anything. Broke my streak of 8 consecutive nights with pigs in the trap.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom