No carry signs at church

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hanging out this morning at the church, playing on my phone while everyone was getting ready for bible study. The pastor was talking to another parishioner about fingerprints and background checks for a mission they were doing. In the conversation CCW permits came up and the pastor was asking this parishioner if he wears his gun into church. He said no and the pastor was happy to hear that and that she didn't want them in the church, she was okay with them in the parking lot (didn't sound like she really was). She went on to talk about how the United Methodist Church is pushing for a "safe sanctuary" and that she was already behind in implementing it. She was claiming she was responsible and liable if something were to happen. He gave the other side of the story and I just sat there pretending like I wasn't listening to the convo. She also brought up that she was going to get with the trustees about posting no weapons signs at all the doors (luckily I am one of the trustees.)

My main concern here is the church or her actually liable for anything that may happen due to a patron of the church. Or does the same law apply (cant remember which one) about business owners not being liable for patrons with a CCW.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair to the members of this particular church I think this would go over like a lead balloon. It is a rural church with 60 or so active members. about a dozen or so got together a year or so ago to get their carry permits class done and just about everybody is everybodys else's family. The pastor is just a liberal jackwagon.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair to the members of this particular church I think this would go over like a lead balloon. It is a rural church with 60 or so active members. about a dozen or so got together a year or so ago to get their carry permits class done and just about everybody is everybodys else's family. The pastor is just a liberal jackwagon.

Inform her she is not welcome!

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To try to answer the OP's question - the only reference to liability that I could find in the SDA that seemed pertinent to what he asked is as follows (paragraph E seems most directly connected to your question):

From the 2013 SDA Handbook ( http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf )
TITLE 21 § 1290.22
BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS
A.
Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self
- Defense Act shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person,
property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity to control the possession of weapons on
any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.
B.
No person, property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity shall be permitted to establish
any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and
storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.
C.
A property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity may prohibit any person from carrying a
concealed or unconcealed firearm on the property. If the building or property is open to the public, the property
owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity shall post signs on or about the property stating
such prohibition.
D.
The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on
property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may
subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to
leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to
exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).
E.
A person, corporation, place of worship or any other business entity that does or does not prohibit any
individual except a convicted felon from carrying a loaded or unloaded, concealed or unconcealed weapon on
property that the person, corporation, place of worship or other business entity owns, or has legal control of, is
immune from any liability arising from that decision. Except for acts of gross negligence or willful or wanton
misconduct, an employer who does or does not prohibit their employees from carrying a concealed or
unconcealed weapon is immune from any liability arising from that decision. The provision of this subsection
shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Code.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like the pastor needs to read this part of the Bible.
Luke 22:36

36 Then said He unto them, “But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it and likewise his pack; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

Even Jesus told people to arm themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom