No carry signs at church

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A woman pastor? That is not in the bible. I am a pastor and have several members who have their ccw and I encourage them to carry in church. If I had a ccw I would carry in church.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last spring, I was asked to be on a committee to put together a "safety" program/manual for the church I attend, and against my better judgement, I agreed. I have known the "safety consultant" who was to be advising the committee for over 30 years, and I already knew his stand on CHL holders. In the first meeting, he threw it out that he was recommending us (the committee/the church) adopt a "no gun" policy, BUT the church WAS NOT going to post the legal signage. I made it clear that if that was the direction the church was going that I would be visiting a new church the next Sunday, and the consultant and pastor both attempted to "pacify" me with the "this really doesn't apply to you" speech. I explained my position, and so far, I have kept this ignorant policy off the table. However, I am confident that it will be revisited.

I have been very vocal that this is my line in the sand, and I WILL leave the church I have been a member of since 1977 over such a nonsense policy.

Streak, if you don't think you can avert this policy as a trustee, I would be looking for a new church to attend next week. I will be praying for you!

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude, but if the pastor is a "liberal jackwagon" , why not worship elsewhere?

It's a Methodist church and the members are like family. Methodists are a lot like Catholics in that you keep your preacher for a few years and then they assign you a new one and the cycle stars over again. However my family and I are willing to go elsewhere for a while.

I would say it needs to be put to a vote of the members of the church.

This is where I am hoping to have some effect before it even gets to the rest of the church. There are 6 trustees and I know there are at least 3 of us on the same page.

Inform her she is not welcome!

LOL! It may actually happen.

Last spring, I was asked to be on a committee to put together a "safety" program/manual for the church I attend, and against my better judgement, I agreed. I have known the "safety consultant" who was to be advising the committee for over 30 years, and I already knew his stand on CHL holders. In the first meeting, he threw it out that he was recommending us (the committee/the church) adopt a "no gun" policy, BUT the church WAS NOT going to post the legal signage. I made it clear that if that was the direction the church was going that I would be visiting a new church the next Sunday, and the consultant and pastor both attempted to "pacify" me with the "this really doesn't apply to you" speech. I explained my position, and so far, I have kept this ignorant policy off the table. However, I am confident that it will be revisited.

I have been very vocal that this is my line in the sand, and I WILL leave the church I have been a member of since 1977 over such a nonsense policy.

Streak, if you don't think you can avert this policy as a trustee, I would be looking for a new church to attend next week. I will be praying for you!

That is where I am at also, that is my line in the sand as well. After speaking with a few very trusted members also I believe that to be true with one of the other trustees and one of the elders families as well. Also I hate when people come up with the "that doesn't mean you". Yes, yes it does.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To try to answer the OP's question - the only reference to liability that I could find in the SDA that seemed pertinent to what he asked is as follows (paragraph E seems most directly connected to your question):

From the 2013 SDA Handbook ( http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf )
TITLE 21 § 1290.22
BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS
A.
Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self
- Defense Act shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person,
property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity to control the possession of weapons on
any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.
B.
No person, property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity shall be permitted to establish
any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and
storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.
C.
A property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity may prohibit any person from carrying a
concealed or unconcealed firearm on the property. If the building or property is open to the public, the property
owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity shall post signs on or about the property stating
such prohibition.
D.
The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on
property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may
subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to
leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to
exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).
E.
A person, corporation, place of worship or any other business entity that does or does not prohibit any
individual except a convicted felon from carrying a loaded or unloaded, concealed or unconcealed weapon on
property that the person, corporation, place of worship or other business entity owns, or has legal control of, is
immune from any liability arising from that decision. Except for acts of gross negligence or willful or wanton
misconduct, an employer who does or does not prohibit their employees from carrying a concealed or
unconcealed weapon is immune from any liability arising from that decision. The provision of this subsection
shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Code.

Part E is exactly what I was looking for. THANK YOU!!!!

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like the pastor needs to read this part of the Bible.

Even Jesus told people to arm themselves.

I will be bringing this up. Thank you. I knew it was in the bible but I am not a scripture quoter so this is quite helpful.

A woman pastor? That is not in the bible. I am a pastor and have several members who have their ccw and I encourage them to carry in church. If I had a ccw I would carry in church.

:clap3: Thank you for this. She actually told the other member that at her last church she had to call the police twice because people came into her church being all crazy demanding things. I guess the church ran a soup kitchen near a jail and would bring in lots of people that needed help in all sorts of ways. It just shocked me that a person with experiences in a situation that did go south would want her parishioners unable to defend themselves.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You lost me when you mentioned she....why is a woman a pastor at a church? That fact alone would have me looking for another church, the "gun buster" sign just serves as reinforcement to leaving in case there is just a little doubt!

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You lost me when you mentioned she....why is a woman a pastor at a church? That fact alone would have me looking for another church, the "gun buster" sign just serves as reinforcement to leaving in case there is just a little doubt!

Your post is ignorant and you may move along now. (coming from a former Catholic BTW)

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no move by the methodist conference to inact a no firearms policy that I know of. The main office by ocu is not posted. I know two ds's that carry and several pastors. If she keeps it up contact the ds and request a new appointment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since this subject first came up at my church, I have been surprised to hear a couple men make statements like "I am for concealed carry but just not in church", and they believe it is the job of the police to protect the public. We have a few LEO's who are members, but none are regular attenders. I stand by the old adage "when seconds count, the cops are minutes away".

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remind them of the several churches that have had congregation members held at gunpoint and robbed over the last few years.
Billy Joe Daugherty was attacked on church platform in 2005. He could have been shooting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom