Not a hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 will kill a big bull and will easily kill deer..ask any poacher what his choice gun is.. 22 long rifle.
I have seen big old bulls killed with a 22 hand gun.
I have killed two 275 lb hogs with a 22 long rifle.
To me it is an excellent choice.. but find the most accurate ammo that your gun likes.. I have found my pistol likes different ammo than my rifle.

Then stock up on that ammo.

Study the animal you will kill with a .22 and make the shot count.. in other words shot placement is key.
The bull died with 1 shot.
First hog dropped to his knees with 1 shot.. got up 45 seconds later and took 2 more rounds.
Second hog took 1 shot instant death.
Hit a deer in the wind pipe and it will hit the ground spine shot from above will do the same.

I love neck shots.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a hunter; here seeking opinions / experience. Will a .22LR possibly kill game (deer) besides small ones with maybe, a couple of shots? And also, for safety in the wild.

The reason I'm asking is, I'm trying to find a caliber that
1) will fit both rifle and handgun.

2) SHTF situations where mobility on vehicle / foot is key - with 1 rifle and 1 semi-auto handgun.
*** can't possibly carry a whole lot of .223/5.56 or 7.62X39mm plus .45 and be on foot.
But I believe it's possible to carry a few thousands of .22LR.

3) ability to survive in the wild by hunting for food and/or survival safety.

Open to other caliber suggestions.
And definitely interested in hearing opinions / ideas on what others are planning for these situations.
since you posted this in General Discussions, I will tell you that using a .22LR on deer will cost you tons of money in fines.

You stated your not a hunter. I wouldn't expect you to know this if your not, so now you know.

If your a prepper this should have been in the preppers forum. Never the less its still going to cost thousands of dollars in fines with a .22

If its a SHTF, you had better prepare for a natural disaster vs some economic collapse with hoards of people roaming, and needing to have cashes's of food/ammo. That's all ********.

Prepare for an ice storm, or tornado and be done with it.

noob2013

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appreciate all the feedback. I enjoy reading them. It's great to read some insights and hunting experience with .22lr.

I apologize if I'm in the wrong forum; admin may move my thread if need to. Thanks!

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a survival round a 22LR makes good sense. It will fit rifles and pistols and ammo is light, and likely as easy or easier to find than most any other ammo. As for protection. Maybe it is not the best round but it will Mae people leak and sometimes that's all that is needed.

Two years ago, I would have agreed with you, but I haven't seen .22lr in a looooong time. I have noticed .30-06 has been plentiful this whole time, though, and makes a great deer round.

Like was said before, use a bow for hunting, and save the guns for the more dangerous game....

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bow hunting? Just another layer of expense. The vast majority of people don't have the time to develop the skills needed for that. Plus they don't look good in a loin cloth either. The OP should just stick to the 22lr. And don't worry about the fines. Cause he won't ever kill any wildlife until the SHTF hits. Then nobody is gonna be worried about fines. Their just going to be worried about the hunger pains in their stomachs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just some more advice.

Prepping for SHTF is nothing more than an excuse to buy more equipment. Lol.

Natual disasters is the only thing you need to focus on.

Btw Bow Hunting is a great way to hunt without making a lot of noise.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22 is fine, but not optimal. I like the pistol caliber rifles, as you can carry two firearms (handgun) with one round for use in each.

I don't think prepping for an economic collapse is any more unrealistic than prepping for a major earthquake here in this part of the world; ice storms, tornadoes, etc., are more likely. Having said that, I don't get the "on foot" thing, either. Where do all of these people think they're going? If everything goes to sh*t, the throngs of hammerheads exterminating everything that moves to eat will pretty much decimate wild game within a few weeks, and I can tell you any roving "bug outs" creeping through my neighborhood will likely find themselves feeding buzzards and coyotes. Armed refugees are a threat to the safety and resources of those who are "bugging in". Having said that, one shouldn't poo-poo the possibility of the SHTF situation; it's played out over and over in history - the last century has more than a few examples. We aren't immune.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One of the MOST important things to take away from your thread is that is ANY OTHER scenario other than a complete and total meltdown of society and the laws that keep it together (which most reasonable people believe is next to impossible), hunting large game with a .22 is totally, completely and utterly illegal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom