Not Enough Feathers on this Board

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy showed me a leg band of a goose he shot a week or so ago. The goose was 13 years old and banded in Nebraska. The report said it was banded before it could fly. It was well worn with grooves where it slid up and down its leg.

I can get a pic of the band and report if anybody is interested. He is not on this forum.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't want to talk about bands.

How about we don't discuss it together then? Been on three hunts where they were brought down, they weren't the birds at the end of my barrel though. One of them was a double banded mallard drake with a $50 reward band. Singles kept coming from my side, and I'd already shot three, so being the considerate guy that I am, I let the next one go and he shoots it. His lab runs over and brings it back, "hey man you shouldn't have let this one fly by", grrrrrr. The next time, only one bird all morning, my labs first duck hunt and a single hen gadwall settles in and the same guy who shot the double banded birds busts it, it flies into a bunch of tall cattails, Mojo busts into the cattails and begins the search, in a couple of minutes out he comes, shiny band glaring off of that black leg of that hen. Third band was on a lesser snow goose of all things.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about we don't discuss it together then? Been on three hunts where they were brought down, they weren't the birds at the end of my barrel though. One of them was a double banded mallard drake with a $50 reward band. Singles kept coming from my side, and I'd already shot three, so being the considerate guy that I am, I let the next one go and he shoots it. His lab runs over and brings it back, "hey man you shouldn't have let this one fly by", grrrrrr. The next time, only one bird all morning, my labs first duck hunt and a single hen gadwall settles in and the same guy who shot the double banded birds busts it, it flies into a bunch of tall cattails, Mojo busts into the cattails and begins the search, in a couple of minutes out he comes, shiny band glaring off of that black leg of that hen. Third band was on a lesser snow goose of all things.

I will be good then. :-)

Reaction score
The only band I shot this year was during early teal season. The best band I have ever called in was on a 9 year old lesser that was banded as far north as you can go in Canada. It's really cool to see where the birds came from.

Latest posts

Top Bottom