Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me too. I'm in for two.....oh, wait. They're too dangerous.

Dang right. I've got a M1 Carbine and since it has a detachable mag, I REALLY have to keep my eye on it. Sometimes when I open the safe I see it there with all of its hate, plotting the demise of innocent school children.

If it had a pistol grip or a shoulder thing that goes up, whoa Nelly! I'd probably have to run a chain through the trigger guard. Hell I never know what that thing is gonna do behind my back.

:wink2:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those aren't the retail prices....and if they are in the kind of shape as many of the previous "Blue Sky" imports. They wouldn't be anything to do backflips over.

Obama has little to do with this. Korea has tried to import these rifles before...I think the real hangup is the possibility that they are not legal to import for $$. If we gave them to Korea under a military assistance program, they have to be given back, not sold back.

+1 This crops up now and again on the CMP forum. I can't recall if Korea took part in the MAPS when they took possession of the M1's and M1 Carbines, but if they did, then it's illegal for them to try to sell them back to the US. They have to do the same thing the Italians and the Greeks did in the past few years - simply give them back to the US Army. However, IIRC the consensus was that the Korean M1's aren't in very good shape, so I wouldn't be too hasty to buy one from the CMP. Unless it was for $200; then I'd buy a bunch and assemble a single M1 or two from the best parts :D

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the date is 2008 for that article. I've heard off and on that there was to be another large release of the M1.

Answer me this though - why would {bad guys} want an M1 (Garand)? They're heavy. If they're making money, I'd be willing to think that they would go for a modern, lighter "cooler" weapon. I agree on the folding stock on the M1 carbine being a viable weapon though - lighter, more compact though I'd think 223 would be more plentiful than 30 carbine.

Wouldn't mind having another M1 carbine, but I'm set of Garands I think.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those aren't the retail prices....and if they are in the kind of shape as many of the previous "Blue Sky" imports. They wouldn't be anything to do backflips over.

Obama has little to do with this. Korea has tried to import these rifles before...I think the real hangup is the possibility that they are not legal to import for $$. If we gave them to Korea under a military assistance program, they have to be given back, not sold back.

Damn YOU! Why do you have to bring reason and facts into an argument when we are all feeling so warm and fuzzy bitching about Obama's role in keeping us from junk rifles????

DON"T BURST OUR BUBBLE!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this was dated 2009 guys....and I think you can get those prices if you buy all 85,000...aren't these the cmp guns that have been selling for the last many months?

Latest posts

Top Bottom