Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those aren't the retail prices....and if they are in the kind of shape as many of the previous "Blue Sky" imports. They wouldn't be anything to do backflips over.

Obama has little to do with this. Korea has tried to import these rifles before...I think the real hangup is the possibility that they are not legal to import for $$. If we gave them to Korea under a military assistance program, they have to be given back, not sold back.

I don't remember where I read this, it may have been the CMP forums, or another source, but the above is correct. according to the article, most of the Garands were mothballed as they were "unservicable". Some parts were questionable on them as they had been manufactured in Korea, and not to US specs.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this was dated 2009 guys....and I think you can get those prices if you buy all 85,000...aren't these the cmp guns that have been selling for the last many months?

I thought that at first too when I saw the "export of the M1 Garand and carbine rifles would start by the end of 2009", but the date at the top of the article is 8-12-2010... maybe it's a typo?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that at first too when I saw the "export of the M1 Garand and carbine rifles would start by the end of 2009", but the date at the top of the article is 8-12-2010... maybe it's a typo?

Re-read the paragraph, slowly:

The ministry announced the plan last September as part of efforts to boost its defense budget, saying the export of the M1 Garand and carbine rifles would start by the end of 2009.

Now, recite the calendar months.

Next, check what year this is, and what year last year was.

The phrase "last September" refers to the announcement being made in September 2009. In that announcement, the ministry said that the export would begin by the end of 2009.

Now, read the next paragraph from the article:

The U.S. administration put the brakes on the plan, citing “problems” that could be caused by the importation of the rifles.

In other words, the U.S. has been pressuring South Korea to not export the firearms that were scheduled to begin shipping on or before December 31, 2009. The article is dated August 2010.

The timeline is correct.

For those who need more clarification:

1. September 2009: Announcement made that M1's would be exported
  2. September 2009-Present: Obama Administration pressures South Korea to not export M1's for "safety issues"
  3. December 2009: Planned shipping date passes
  4. August 2010: Article published reminding people about the announcement that was made nearly a year ago and pinning the blame in the rightful place

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You coulda just said "nah, you missed .....".

:)

Re-read the paragraph, slowly:
Now, recite the calendar months.
Next, check what year this is, and what year last year was.
The phrase "last September" refers to the announcement being made in September 2009. In that announcement, the ministry said that the export would begin by the end of 2009.
Now, read the next paragraph from the article:
In other words, the U.S. has been pressuring South Korea to not export the firearms that were scheduled to begin shipping on or before December 31, 2009. The article is dated August 2010.
The timeline is correct.
For those who need more clarification:
  1. September 2009: Announcement made that M1's would be exported
  2. September 2009-Present: Obama Administration pressures South Korea to not export M1's for "safety issues"
  3. December 2009: Planned shipping date passes
  4. August 2010: Article published reminding people about the announcement that was made nearly a year ago and pinning the blame in the rightful place

Latest posts

Top Bottom