Official "I drew a controlled hunt" thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I drew out on the same one. Anyone know how hard it is to find land?

call the game wrden for the county. he will give you a list of land owners that will let you hunt for a fee. range is anywhere from $100 to $300 but you'll get access to thousands of acres of land.
went with a buddy that drew in a few years back. the farmer said "drive till you come to a fence" we drove for two hours and never saw a fence!
buddy took a nice 15 3/4 buck at 70 yards. some of the best meat i've ever had. almost purple in color but TENDER! good luck to all.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck brook me 15 years before finally getting drawn for an antelope. You will have better chance if you put in for the doe permits.

This is only my second year to apply. I was pretty shocked when I pulled it up this morning and saw "Antelope."

Anyone in Cimarron Co want to trade land access for firewood? I'll be happy to bring a truckload out to ya :thumbup3:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
call the game wrden for the county. he will give you a list of land owners that will let you hunt for a fee. range is anywhere from $100 to $300 but you'll get access to thousands of acres of land.
went with a buddy that drew in a few years back. the farmer said "drive till you come to a fence" we drove for two hours and never saw a fence!
buddy took a nice 15 3/4 buck at 70 yards. some of the best meat i've ever had. almost purple in color but TENDER! good luck to all.

Not anymore. The co-worker who drew into the same hunt talked with him this morning. He said they are no longer allowed, by law, to give out landowner information UNLESS that landowner contacts the game warden and asks that some hunters be sent his way. He said, however, to go into any coffee shop and you will probably find several landowners who will invite you to hunt ... especially with doe tags. The warden said some of them would probably invite you to hunt just to help thin the herd, while others would likely want a trespass fee of anywhere from $50 to $200 for a doe. A buck could cost you considerably more.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing again this year. Congrats to everyone that drew out. Sounds like we've got some good stories/pics to look forward to in a few months!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i drew to McAlester for Oct 8 to 10. that is with crossbow

i got an area named deercreek.

i have not hunted off the farm in 11 years. so something new to try.

I will be there on the same date, as well as Dreaming man.
I'll be hunting in Hominy area.
I could help you in Hominy, but have never hunted the others.

The time of year you will be there the acorns and persimmons will still be dropping, but will be at the end of their cycle.
I would focus on those areas. Food ='s deer.
Last year, there was a 4" rain a day or two before and the creeks were flooded. None of the low lying areas were good, nor safe.

Your sucess will be determined by mother nature most likely.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I entered and drew out for a doe last year at ft cobb wma but never used it. I realized how stupid it was for me even to enter when I have 3,000+ acres of my own to hunt. Good luck everyone.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember it being this expensive last time, but I have kids now so money is a little more important these days. =]

Obviously since the last $201 listed is 'Optional', I'll opt out. But does $276 sound right? I'd prefer just the $25. All of the others say NR, whatever that means. Non-Resident?

WildlifeDepartment.com said:
Fees Due Seth, HiIm 3 - Deer Hunts 342 - McAlester AAP - Deer Creek - Archery (2) Only 1 Antlered 11/5/2010 - 11/7/2010 9/17/2010

Pay Fee Description Amount Fee Type
Special hunt user permit fee NR $50.00 (Required)
Special hunt user fee - feds - McAlester $25.00 (Required)
Special hunt deer archery - any sex NR $201.00 (Required)
Special hunt deer archery - any sex NR $201.00 (Optional)
Total of all fees: $477.00 Payment Type Check Credit Card

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember it being this expensive last time, but I have kids now so money is a little more important these days. =]

Obviously since the last $201 listed is 'Optional', I'll opt out. But does $276 sound right? I'd prefer just the $25. All of the others say NR, whatever that means. Non-Resident?

My total fees were $65 last time.

Special deer archery hunt any sex res: $20.00

Special hunt user fee - feds- $25.00

Special hunt deer archery - (optional second tag) $20

Total: $65

Looks like they raised the fees. NR is non-resident, hence the high price. For some reason they have you as a non-resident.

DO NOT PAY THAT. It's a mistake. It happened last year and said some hunters on Ok Bowhunter Conference owed thousands of dollars.

Looks like you should owe $75 for the fee and one tag, plus whatever second RESIDENT (NOT NON RESIDENT) tag is if you want one.

Wait a few days, if they don't fix the site (they did last year) call the ODWC.

ETA Your $50 user fee is NR too. Somethings not right. Should be even cheaper. Major screw up, but it happened last year to people I know. You are a resident, I assume.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

They have you set up for a Non Resident. That is what the Non Resident tags cost. You should check into this, before you pay up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom