Official "I drew a controlled hunt" thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What exactly is the quality pass at McAlester? Does that mean if you shoot a doe and no buck you get to come back the following year?

A "Quality Pass" is a guaranteed ticket in the next year if you kill one or more does. So, most hunters out there shoot the first doe they see. Brown and no head gear and it's down ... provided the deer is within shot. It is the managers (Mr. Bill Starry) way of ensuring hunters get some of those darn does off the property.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone mentioned lack of success at Lexington - 500 permits w/ 352 hunters for the whole season. 41 bucks harvested & 21 does for a 12% & 6% success rate (obviously 18% combined).

Last year the success rate at McAlesters last year was 24% overall, 7% for bucks and 17% for does. That is 330 deer were harvested by 1,358 hunters (1,475 permits issued), so 117 hunters with permits did not show up.

Some places and years are better than others. There have been some years where a place had more than 100% success rate due to some places allowing more than one deer to be harvested.

Data came from http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/2009results.pdf

Blah, blah, blah ...

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup - definitely get in on this deal - it's only $5/year to apply for all categories of hunts. You have to apply online, and it's a bit of a CF of a procedure the first time you do it. Definitely worth a shot. You have to have an active hunting license to apply, I believe.

I lucked out this year with this draw-in:

Oh yeah! :)

Congratulations!! :respect::respect:

That's a fun hunt. We expect pics of the "speed goat".

riley007

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WoooHooo !!! I drew the either sex antelope in Cimarron County. Now if I can only find access to hunt. Anyone have any leads or contacts??

joe11young

Marksman
Reaction score
I got drawn for and either sex tag at Canton. I'll be hunting with BigTexOK. Our buddy drew a cow elk tag for Wichita Mnts. Hopefully I'll be helping him haul one out in December.

Last year I drew a doe antelope tag for Texas county. If anyone wants the details of where I hunted last year shoot me a PM.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunt 202 - gun doe antelope in Cimarron County 10/2 thru 10/10 ...

I'll be out there with RedTape and Jeff3C

I and a co-worker in the same hangar both drew in for this same hunt. What are the odds of that, when you have to apply individually for that one?!?!?!

Now, which of our OSA members have land in Cimarron County they would let a fellow hunt antelope on?!?!?!

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i drew to McAlester for Oct 8 to 10. that is with crossbow

i got an area named deercreek.

i have not hunted off the farm in 11 years. so something new to try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom