Oh Norman..........Mask Alert.......The Sky is Falling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma is now nearly surrounded by states with mask mandates. NM, CO, KS, AR, TX.
Currently in Colorado. About 60% wear a mask. 90% of those have the nose exposed or around the chin, and are not changed according to CDC guidelines. The county I'm in has the lowest cases of covid cases in Co. 0 deaths and few cases in many weeks.
Live is going on pretty much as pre covid although one lady came into the grocery store I was exiting from, immediately pointing me out as not having a mask.
I paused and asked her if she understood how much more contagious TB was vs the Rona and reminded her of the 1.5 million + that had died from TB in 2018 worldwide and the multiple millions that had contracted that virus that didn't die but contracted it and survived it.
Asked her if she wore a mask in 2018 because of the "pandemic" of TB, and she had no answer.
I kept the conversation civil on my part, presenting information that can be searched and documented while not allowing her rhetoric liberal talking points she kept shouting back at me.
She was a true activist warrior in her own mind I guess still proud of the mask she wore that had a vent.
I love engaging those folks.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Currently in Colorado. About 60% wear a mask. 90% of those have the nose exposed or around the chin, and are not changed according to CDC guidelines. The county I'm in has the lowest cases of covid cases in Co. 0 deaths and few cases in many weeks.
Live is going on pretty much as pre covid although one lady came into the grocery store I was exiting from, immediately pointing me out as not having a mask.
I paused and asked her if she understood how much more contagious TB was vs the Rona and reminded her of the 1.5 million + that had died from TB in 2018 worldwide and the multiple millions that had contracted that virus that didn't die but contracted it and survived it.
Asked her if she wore a mask in 2018 because of the "pandemic" of TB, and she had no answer.
I kept the conversation civil on my part, presenting information that can be searched and documented while not allowing her rhetoric liberal talking points she kept shouting back at me.
She was a true activist warrior in her own mind I guess still proud of the mask she wore that had a vent.

Probably unshaven armpits as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His kids aren't nearly as bad as people say. Very kind people. Besides, what isn't made in China or Mexico? Is walmart the fall guy for labor unions?
I'm not saying they could be nice people but the business model went to hell upon Sam's demise.
Edit:
Your comment of what isn't made in China and Mexico can be directly pointed at obama and the brain dead biden.
Bush wasn't an angel either when it came to moving manufacturing to china and mexico.
Our manufacturing when to hell during the biden/obama years.
I remember obama saying what's Trump going to do? Wave a magic wand and get our manufacturing back?
That is exactly what Trump did. He brought manufacturing back to this country.

Last edited:

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying they could be nice people but the business model went to hell upon Sam's demise.
Edit:
Your comment of what isn't made in China and Mexico can be directly pointed at obama and the brain dead biden.
Bush wasn't an angel either when it came to moving manufacturing to china and mexico.
I remember obama saying what's Trump going to do? Wave a magic wand and get our manufacturing back?
If you say so.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edit:

Our manufacturing went where it went long before Bush and Obama. When the golden age of America was no longer good enough in the 60's, unions pushed for a bigger piece of the pie. Nothing wrong with it, I imagine everyones goal in life is to make as much money as possible, as is mine. Unions fought for higher wages and were given higher wages. To maintain margins, cost of goods went up... which lead to another union kerfuffle. It's the never ending process that landed us right where we are now. Manufacturing isn't solely responsible for it, transportation and the other represented trades all have a hand in it. But manufacturing went to Mexico and Canada where it could be done even cheaper boosting margins again. Then China was welcomed to the world stage and their incredible manufacturing power was released. If anything, China is responsible for the high standard of living for the entire middle class. If not for China, we would be a very different and most likely poorer country.

Fun fact, walmart maintains one of the largest inventories of made in usa goods than any other company in America. Sure, that in itself is manufactured being the largest retailer in the world, but it's fact. Shop their website sometime, but as you probably suspect, made in usa goods are normally more expensive than imported goods.

Side bar, the EZ-DUZ-IT can opener is American made, super cheap, and probably the highest quality can opener in the world. $8.75 at walmart.

Trump is doing what he can, bribing companies to stay, but his tariffs are backfiring. Steel will only become affordable again when inflation adjusts higher at the expense of cutting wages to the American worker, but it's pure posturing. Even his own line of goods is made in a third world country. Full disclosure, there's a personal bias to this one as it affects my side work flow and margins.

Back to being objective.

Of the stuff still made in America, money flows offshore to the companies that retain ownership. That Toyota may be made in Georgia, but your dollars flow to Japan. Kia/Hyundai to Korea. Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram to Italy. Honda, BMW, Mercedes, etc... Some money stays here, but profits leave. The only American consumer vehicles remain (as majority owned in US) GM, Ford, and Tesla... all of which have the highest across the board prices.

Same story even in the firearm industry. Very few American companies that retain American money stateside... and a majority of enthusiasts pop for the cheaper comparable brands. Even brands that are historically thought of as American are offshore and foreign owned. All the same, of the purely American companies, many manufacture offshore and skate their Made in USA label by fitting final assembly in the US.

It'd be ideal to be a manufacturing juggernaut once again, but the market won't sustain it, and it's a trade that somehow became 'below' the average American years ago. Feel free to fact check, tell me I'm wrong.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all our mask-skeptical friends, here is research on the effectiveness of various mask types at stopping the spread of aerosol droplets (<5 microns). Source: go to 11:30 in . The original research is published in Physics of Fluids.
Distance a cough will expel aerosols:
No mask 8 feet
Bandana 3.5 feet
Folded Cotton Handkerchief 1 foot 3 inches
Surgical Masks 8 inches

He also highlights how the masks don't protect the user very well. He makes some good points, especially when he talks about the moisture being a variable. Summertime.... cloth masks......and such. Finally, he at the minimum recommends a surgical masks for reasons he highlights at the end.

So here's my point, I agree with a majority of what he said. Certain types of masks can be effective. Most cloth masks are complete garbage and have shown in other studies to allow 97% transmission. What I believe a number of people have issue with, is the Karens of the world, and politicians telling us what to do and creating policies, all the while wearing ineffective cloth masks.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He also highlights how the masks don't protect the user very well. He makes some good points, especially when he talks about the moisture being a variable. Summertime.... cloth masks......and such. Finally, he at the minimum recommends a surgical masks for reasons he highlights at the end.

So here's my point, I agree with a majority of what he said. Certain types of masks can be effective. Most cloth masks are complete garbage and have shown in other studies to allow 97% transmission. What I believe a number of people have issue with, is the Karens of the world, and politicians telling us what to do and creating policies, all the while wearing ineffective cloth masks.

Rise above the Karens and politicians...promote the proper wearing of effective surgical masks: this is our best tool for avoiding shutdowns, keeping schools open and slowing the spread of the disease. Slow spread is a very worthwhile goal. Treatments are improving and there is a possibility that the second time you get the disease will be worse than the first.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Why do people feel the need to shame or ostracize others for different behavior? Wear one or don't. I'm not going to call you out for either one. I'm going to go about my business and treat others like I'd like to be treated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom