Oil change intervals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the cost of this service?
I dont remember exactly but once you dial in your oil change interval based on their findings, no reason to use them again unless your driving habits change or oil brand changes.
I wanna say it was less than $25 for the test plus a few bucks shipping to send the sample. I dont think I paid $35 but it was probably 10 years ago last I used them so it likely went up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I visit a camshaft shop often and all the failed cam and lifters from gas and diesel vehicles that come in there many with under 70,000 miles.
Cam lobes and journals ate up.
Carbon or crud thick between the lobes.
8 to 10,000 mile oil changes.
I have not had just one car go over 350,000 miles I have had many and no oil related issues.
3000 miles or sooner for me.
And I am NOT EASY on my vehicles.

I have never owned a diesel.
I am picky on what oils I run.
I am picky on what engines I will own also.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use synthetics, so they recommend 5000 miles.
My F-250 that tows a lot has an oil monitor. It usually says change needed around 7500 miles, but I stay with 5000. It’s cheap insurance.
Probably a good plan with that trailer you have. I've always wondered how those monitors knew if you were towing, and if so, how heavy you were. :rolleyes2

I will say the one in my old '02 Monte Carlo was actually decent. It varied a fair amount depending on driving habits. If I was on the road a lot it would stretch to around 7500 miles, but in town with the ex driving it, it was about 45-4700. Of course I ignored it because it was setup for conventional and I was running synthetic. Actually, I didn't ignore it, I'd reset it and run it until it came on again, then change it.

That car had 247,000 on the clock when it cracked a head. It was still running great, but I couldn't keep coolant in it.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's triple locked 96 Land Cruiser has 300k on the clock.
She will not let me sell it.

Compression is the same as when I bought it.
Uses no oil between changes.
Changes at 4k (that's just me - Blackstone says go further).
Delvac 15-w40 Dino oil (plenty of zinc, detergents keep everything clean).
Motorcraft filter.
I do analysis every other year had have ever since 2005.
Think of it as blood work for your vehicle.

A close friend owns/drives a Peterbuilt and sends in a sample of the big Cat's oil every time he does an oil change.
Gotta spot problems before they start.
Caterpillar rebuilds can be speedy.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My '06 F-150 got nothing but Mobil 1 full synthetic. Changed every 15k, after 3 changes at 5k to break in. Filter got changed at 7500. I drove it 250k, then gave to grandson. He is still driving it, at 330k.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have changed my oil every 3500-4500 miles for 17 years. Although, when I changed it this afternoon, at 3200 miles, it was almost the same color as the stuff going in… I think there’s a lot of variables though obviously, I don’t do much idling, mostly highway mileage so it’ll be cleaner than most. I could probably double the intervals, but as the cliche goes, oil is cheap, engines are not.

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, Amsoil Signature Series (their best) is rated for 25,000 miles in normal service (which is basically all highway and virtually nobody is in that service category), or 15,000 miles in severe service which includes short trips, stop and go, etc. and also turbos.

I wouldn't think twice about running Pennzoil Platinum to 6k miles and I'd take PP Ultra to 10k and sleep well. The new API service classifications have durability factored in now, that's somewhat recent, as in the last few years. It used to be oils only had to pass all the tests when it came out of the bottle. Not so anymore.
I run the Amsoil Sig series. Great stuff. I bought my 2002 3500 Express Vannew, at the first change I went ot Amsoil, with their transmission fluid and rear end oil. It has 275K on it and while the body is kind of beat up with that peeling Chevy paint, the drivetrain is smoother than a new one. I usually run 10K changes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom