Oil change intervals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And what are you lol? I know you think your grandpappy's advice is gospel, but things have changed to say the least. Like it or not, those boys geek out about oil and engines and relay quite a bit more than you have.

You're not even making sense. If anything oil companies like people like you. You buy oil at 2-3 times the rate that some others would. It's not necessarily being tight, it's just being smart. Then again, people who use dino oil probably should change their oil more frequently. Dino oils are significantly inferior compared to synthetics, but at 2-3K miles, you're probably not gonna notice in most engines.

Well.... I said 10k but you're seemingly emotionally tied to advice that doesn't apply to newer technology.
Funny thing is, you say your oil looks new when you change it. Dirt roads and all. :D
Are you always a prick or do you have to work at it GMThunder. You evidently have it down pat.
I don’t care if you as an expert never change your oil.
I’ll change my oil once a week if I feel like it. You do you. I was asking a question when I started this thread. Sure synthetic is probably superior sure. What works for me has for 36 years.
Shite, my grandpappy built more engines than you checked the oil on one.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you always a prick or do you have to work at it GMThunder. You evidently have it down pat.
I don’t care if you as an expert never change your oil.
I’ll change my oil once a week if I feel like it. You do you. I was asking a question when I started this thread. Sure synthetic is probably superior sure. What works for me has for 36 years.
Shite, my grandpappy built more engines than you checked the oil on one.
Yea you asked a question. Then you get pissy when you get answers contrary to your practice which is what was recommended in 1970. Go figure…

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not pissy at all. I’m not butt hurt. Lol. Change your filter whenever you choose. They have a bypass when it gets clogged.
Hes absolutely right.
I have very extensive experience in Diesel engines and the different fuel systems over the years, as well as the oil systems. The 2003 6.0 has a fuel injection system than is pressured from oil, so oil was always top notch.
My F-350 towed a fifth wheel, horse trailer and ran the track in Nobel OK some, (high 10s for a 10,000 lb truck). Blackstone recommended a 7,000 mile change but I went with 5500

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Usually around 3000 miles or sometimes sooner on some engines I have you can hear a ticking when it first fires up then it goes away.
If I change the oil and filter that sound no longer is there.

Now this can be with a sideways mounted oil filter or a straight down oil filter.
Does not matter the brand of filter as over the millions of miles I have put on vehicles it will happen with any filter.

I hear vehicles that are not mine start all the time and many have the dreaded ticking on start up.
Sometimes it will last for nearly a minute.

Makes me cringe.
Just something I notice.
Does it matter?
Well it does to me as I can't stand ticking from something I need to rely on.
Probably why I never owned a diesel :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom