Oil Price Per BBL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm buying these types of stocks for my son's account. I figure we will be go through a couple of cycles or more in the next 18 years.

Remember Warren Buffet said, "Be greedy when others are fearful, and fearful when others are greedy."

I'm no stock guru, but I hit some great licks in the last downturn.

If you got the time right now is a fantastic time!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long term speculation is the key! I rode/invested in the waves for 30 some years. Its scary, yet rewarding.

Keep in mind that IMHO the recovery's aren't going to be as good in the past for utilities (that have good dividends) as the wind farms are coming on line more and more, as well as solar is going to find a way in the future to really become an alternate source.

Coal is getting beat up now. NG power plants are in the future more and more. (I personally think that is a mistake. Mark my words)

Fossils have a lifetime of investment that will outlive most of us. No matter what the green folks think, we will NEVER lose our dependence on fossil.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Russian ruble is in absolute freefall this morning.
It has been sinking for weeks but the last 2 days the chart looks like a marble that rolled off a cliff.

What can they do?
If they sell more oil to raise cash reserves the increased oil supply to the market will drive oil prices down even further.

WTI is $54.29 this morning.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WRONG. Not all company matches are locked in as company stock.

Where did I say they did all company matches are in company stock? Many are (and dieseltech09's does) and all I said is that if that is the case, buying more of the same stock leaves you exposed. The recommendation was to diversiify. What is it that is wrong with that?

The Russian ruble is in absolute freefall this morning.
It has been sinking for weeks but the last 2 days the chart looks like a marble that rolled off a cliff.

What can they do?
If they sell more oil to raise cash reserves the increased oil supply to the market will drive oil prices down even further.

WTI is $54.29 this morning.

Did you see where their central bank jack core interest rates from 10.5% to 17%? That is crazy and a little scary. Putin is now pretty heavily incentivised to create some mayham that will panick the market into driving the price up. But it looks like the world is a little bearish on the bear.

Last edited:

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if a guy wanted to throw some spare cash into the market right now, how would he do that? I am not talking alot of money but maybe $1000-1500. I see the brokers that run commercials non-stop but what if I just wanted to dabble around a little bit?

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend opening a brokerage account with Scottrade. Some companies I would start looking at are Kinder Morgan (KMI) and Continental Resources (CLR) might be early yet on Continental. I would not touch Sandridge personally. DVN is a good Company and perhaps Haliburton (HAL).
Like Dennis said, I too would hate losing other peoples money so be sure to do your own due diligence.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Devon, Chaparral, Chesapeake have been the more active producers on our land with Encana leaving and Devon slowing down to almost zero activity. (F Koch, ripoffs still owe us money)... Gladly as a land owner and mineral rights owner we dont rely on income from just crude, other sources of income are included in royalty payments: natural gas, natural gas liquids, tank bottoms, limestone and sand stone, lease sales, and leases and concessions, bonus's, etc. Will I be buying more stock than my usual during this price freakout, probably not, yet. My wife is and has been, her company sells heaters to refineries and theyre busy as all hell selling units, shes working Xmas Eve day when she usually always takes it off. Ive been a mineral rights owner since 89', my mom has been since 62', and my grandfather had been from 1906 to 1962, we've weathered alot of down times because I was taught early in life to work hard and save my money and not to rely on the money we get from oil because prices fluctuate so crazy. It has always come back up from being down, since Ive been involved with it anyways. I looked at some old records I keep and HPP was $20 in 1990.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd recommend opening a brokerage account with Scottrade. Some companies I would start looking at are Kinder Morgan (KMI) and Continental Resources (CLR) might be early yet on Continental. I would not touch Sandridge personally. DVN is a good Company and perhaps Haliburton (HAL).
Like Dennis said, I too would hate losing other peoples money so be sure to do your own due diligence.

Good advise here. I've used Scottrade for years with zero issues as well. This is getting ready to be the right time IMO......selecting the best picks is part of the game.

Latest posts

Top Bottom