Oilfield Layoffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope never stood up either. Seen several rigs stood up and tore down but a I have never been on that side of the buisness. I just don't see the demand for turbine tower builders and techs being big enough to offset those that are being let go from the oil/gas industry. Back in 2012 there was a turbine tech school in California that we were hiring about 70% of their graduates to be operators on our frac crews or rig floor hands for our sister company.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do see job posting for wind power turbine crews out there (installation and maintenance) when I look. I think you are right that today there isn't a one for one replacement for guys coming off the rigs but it's been a changing trend. If nothing else it could be something for a former rig guy to consider. I know there is enough interest and need that OSU created an associates level degree around wind energy technology.

http://www.osuokc.edu/wind/

Maybe if wind ramps up, there will be more than enough work for those who want it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wind power is not an answer, we don't have enough land to erect as many as it would take to power the country. It only works in localized instances as a "pressure reliever" on the plants in their locale. Another 100 years maybe they can make a dent, but it's not really an answer for the foreseeable future.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever. Speculate all ya want about energy but in less than 20 years a barrel of drinking water will be worth more than a barrel of oil.
Actually it already is when bought by the bottle.
Water rights are going to be were the money is.
First one to invent a cost effective machine to turn ocean water into drinking water on a single resident scale will be the next Bill Gates.

Guess I'd better put up some guard towers around my 600 gallon an hour tested water well?

I've not researched what you posted for the record.

I know we provided a lot of folks with water during our ice storm.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wind power is not an answer, we don't have enough land to erect as many as it would take to power the country. It only works in localized instances as a "pressure reliever" on the plants in their locale. Another 100 years maybe they can make a dent, but it's not really an answer for the foreseeable future.

Technology will catch up, it will become more efficient. Solar started out in the low single digits... Low efficiency was accepted due to the benefits long term... but as technology catches up to the idea, science now has 46% efficient panels. Imagine another 10 years of tech on that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Technology will catch up, it will become more efficient. Solar started out in the low single digits... Low efficiency was accepted due to the benefits long term... but as technology catches up to the idea, science now has 46% efficient panels. Imagine another 10 years of tech on that.

Wind is not a solution. When the wind doesn't blow you get no power. Hydro units only work when there is enough water.

If the gov subsidies ended today, the wind power companies would walk away from their projects, and wind farms would be sold for scrap iron.

You have to keep units online to generate a base load. Right now base load coal plants keep the country running.

Ostupids EPA regs are just about going to double your power bills when the coal plants get out of the game.

At the current time Coal plants are scheduling scrubber units that will also almost double your utility bills, as well.

YEAH! NG is going to take over energy production!

Look back a few years and see what NG prices did, and what drove those prices.

It could easily happen again.

Go with total NG for base load, and your screwed with a single source base load.

Trust me, you don't want this...

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wind is not a solution. When the wind doesn't blow you get no power. Hydro units only work when there is enough water.

If the gov subsidies ended today, the wind power companies would walk away from their projects, and wind farms would be sold for scrap iron.

You have to keep units online to generate a base load. Right now base load coal plants keep the country running.

Ostupids EPA regs are just about going to double your power bills when the coal plants get out of the game.

At the current time Coal plants are scheduling scrubber units that will also almost double your utility bills, as well.

YEAH! NG is going to take over energy production!

Look back a few years and see what NG prices did, and what drove those prices.

It could easily happen again.

Go with total NG for base load, and your screwed with a single source base load.

Trust me, you don't want this...

You sound like my oil company dad lol... It's not about making energy... it's about storing the energy we make.

I don't worry about electric much anymore. Took advantage of some serious tax rebates a few years ago, went solar/battery. Made my last payment on it in December. The system isn't big enough to cut out AEP completely over the last couple of hot summers, but this years plan to replace the old hvac with ductless heat pump/air handler systems should. I hope energy prices go up, the check they normally send me should reflect it.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anything you dont have thats bigger and better? lmao. 600 GPM well? Well Maybe.
You should research it and study the history of water in the last 30 years. If you dont see whats going on then you may be Fing blind or a Fing idiot.

I believe he said 600 gallon per hour..or 10 gallon per minute...

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we don't own the water under our land in Oklahoma. the state owns it and we are permitted to use it. if you have a commercial water permit or agriculture permit for that matter the state can reduce or take away your permit to use the water.

Whatever. Speculate all ya want about energy but in less than 20 years a barrel of drinking water will be worth more than a barrel of oil.
Actually it already is when bought by the bottle.
Water rights are going to be were the money is.
First one to invent a cost effective machine to turn ocean water into drinking water on a single resident scale will be the next Bill Gates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom