Oilfield Layoffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you only want to play the game when you can write the rules in your favor. Pretty typical of oil/gas lobbies. You give me the same time you've had to tap that market, and I'll give you a country that doesn't want to drive a car they can't start in the garage without dieing (my electric preheats itself in the garage for me every morning and I really did feel bad for the folk stopped at gas stations with their cold nips poking through (well in some cases I enjoyed it but..)).

Beg your pardon? Who is writing the rules in their favor? You need to go look in a mirror, your democrat is showing...

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it. Hey aside from all of the above BS (mine included), you guys getting notices, post up your skills and background. There are enough of us on here who know someone who knows someone and we might be able to help.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, the guys and gals that got laid off, probably aren't interested in political debate about why we need to move to alternative energy, how evil oil companies are or who's really getting the subsidies.

1krr. This video is for you, rigging up a drilling rig and building a windmill are similar only in the same sense that building a radio tower and a rig are similar. Unit drilling and H&P also have similar graphic representations of a rig up.

The video is a very simplified version of what goes on, but one of the main points of interest is between 30 and 40 seconds in. The latest technology rigs are all very similar to this. Even if you were constructing a wind project that took a year for manual labor ( and that is what roughnecking is) that's only about 4 or 5 holes for the average rig in Oklahoma.

H&P alone laid off 2000 so far, I doubt there will ever be 2000 jobs available in the wind industry in Oklahoma. But it is a good thought, just don't try to make out that the jobs are similar.
Everyone gets it, you don't like oil and gas exploration companies or their sub-contractors, you like green (so called) energy. You know what, so do oil and gas exploration companies, that's the reason they invest in it.

Oklahoma for the foreseeable future is tied to oil & gas and farming & ranching. So far manufacturing hasn't had much love for us.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, the guys and gals that got laid off, probably aren't interested in political debate about why we need to move to alternative energy, how evil oil companies are or who's really getting the subsidies.

You're right. Thanks for the video, I'll watch it. I've been in/around rigs in west texas so I've seen the process (never been a roughneck myself). I was originally trying to say that guys who can be trained for and handle oil field work might consider a gig building turbines.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sucks, but I am looking at it as kind of a good thing. My wife is having our second child next week, Wednesday, and I kind of think it might be a good sign that a break from the oilfield is due so that I can actually spend time with my family. If anyone knows of a decent paying 9-5 type job I would like to see what that is like again.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
It sucks, but I am looking at it as kind of a good thing. My wife is having our second child next week, Wednesday, and I kind of think it might be a good sign that a break from the oilfield is due so that I can actually spend time with my family. If anyone knows of a decent paying 9-5 type job I would like to see what that is like again.
The pay isnt great but they are hurting for prison guards in all OK prisons.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's people who still play the denial game... and pay full price for housing and cars on notes that take up the majority of their oilfield check...

A pretty good rule to follow in a cyclical job market is to live on only what you can reasonably make during the busts. If you save the rest during the booms, then there's a good chance you'll get to spend the busts fishing.
!

I agree 100%. I've worked in the oil/gas industry for 15 years. Parents moved out here in 82 only to catch the tail end of the bust. Can't long term budget off of the high times, it doesn't work.
I do get fired up when people group everyone in the patch as oilfield trash that drive a $70,000 brodozer, razor, boat, two room mates,have $0 savings, $0 ability to save due to debt and when it goes bust will have nothing to show for all of their hard work. Good people living within their means have lost their jobs, are loosing their jobs and in my area at least will not have a job to go to because there is nothing else.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom