OKCGC Appleseed AARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys I'm starting a new thread for the reviews since the other got so large.

Thanks for coming I thought it was a great day.

I'd like to hear feedback from everyone, did you enjoy it, what did we do good, what could we do better? This is mainly from the OKCGC side since I can work on those thngs but I'm sure the Appleseed guys would love some feedback as well.

Let me know if you'd attend again if the Club host another and if you know anyone new you could get to attend.

Post your comments and thoughts so we can make the next one even better.

I'll post the AAR from the Appleseed forum once it's available.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First day was very good, lots of information learned.

Highlights:

- History lessons from Colycat(?). It NEVER hurts to know why you are doing something or why you CAN do something.

- Program structure. You don't feel too rushed, and you don't feel too bored from having to wait on others.

- Demonstrations why certain techniques work. Big emphasis on the word "demonstration" because this is where reading about proper shooting technique on the internet can NOT deliver.

Some cons:

- Space. It is great that there were many people, but it got pretty crowded on the firing line, and having to prone at an angle means you end up bumping knees with your neighbor. If you are supposed to use your butt/legs to reposition on target, you need a lot of space to experiment with what works.

- I don't really agree with the 6 steps to firing off a shot. Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but I attempted to mentally process steps 1-6 before each shot. This added a lot of time to each shot because 6 steps seems like too much to remember to efficiently and quickly recall. Couldn't steps 1 and 2 be combined? I understand the intent for step 4, but it seems like it doesn't really make much sense as a step?

Overall, very good. I'll be attending tomorrow. Hope my criticism doesn't affect my chances of getting a good score on the AQT. :)

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great hosting, Bratch, thanks for bringing an Appleseed closer! If the Club hosts another one, I'll be there - and would be tomorrow, too, if not for a gig right in the middle of the afternoon. Hope the rain holds off for you guys.

The only thing that bothered me any was the minor target snafu at the day's start, but it was really no big deal. There may be a more expedient way to distribute them - maybe you guys would punch wire through each backer, then each shooter would take his/her own backer to the lines and tie it on.

Oh yeah - it'd be very helpful if range commands were passed from one red hat to the next all the way down the line (as a matter of course).

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Overall, very good. I'll be attending tomorrow. Hope my criticism doesn't affect my chances of getting a good score on the AQT. :)

I think they just lost your target so NO SCORE for you.

It's a lot easier to learn the techniques talked about in Fred's guide to becoming a Rifleman in person.

I wish I had a little more time to tighten my groups up before progressing to the next steps but it does move at about the right pace overall.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah - it'd be very helpful if range commands were passed from one red hat to the next all the way down the line (as a matter of course).

This! A megaphone would resolve a lot of the confusion problems.. "how many mags this time? how many rounds? what are we shooting at?"

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This event was for anyone. I think people-wise, we had the entire spectrum from brand new shooters to even a NRA high power shooter.

All I gotta say is, even though I didn't earn that very desirable Rifleman patch, I learned more in one weekend than in 4 years of being a "gun nut" and will most likely attend the next event in Grandfield. I also enjoyed the long range shoot as I have never shot beyond 200 yards before.

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I had a great time at this event. I saw a great improvement in my groups during the course of the day. My wife, who had only shot a rifle for the first time the day before, was grouping her shots tremendously better at the end of the day.

The only down side to the event was that it was hard to hear the range commands at time. A megaphone or some form of pa system would fix this issue.

The instructors were very knowledgeable and willing to spend time with all shooters. They were respectful no matter what questions were asked and answered them very professionally. :thumbup3::thumbup3:

THANKS FOR A GREAT EVENT!!

We will definitely attend when another is scheduled!

Latest posts

Top Bottom