Old colt 22 pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on which High Standard you are referring to. I have a MkII, MkIII and a HS Supermatic Trophy. All fine pistols but Supermatic Trophy is the clear accuracy winner.
I agree I have several High Standard targets pistols they are the clear winner as far as accuracy in my stable

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on which High Standard you are referring to. I have a MkII, MkIII and a HS Supermatic Trophy. All fine pistols but Supermatic Trophy is the clear accuracy winner.
I have a Sportking, and a Supermatic, that the MkII beats. TBH I have not found what the HS's prefer, but the MkII eats anything, and well. A friends MkII is slightly more accurate.
So far, the MkII beats all, including the Stoeger 95 Pro, and even the 41.
But then it's prolly just that I shoot the MkII better.

Joe

Attachments

• 20211105_213545.jpg
    20211105_213545.jpg
    5.4 MB
  • 20211102_201404.jpg
    20211102_201404.jpg
    5.5 MB
  • 20211030_155042.jpg
    20211030_155042.jpg
    5.3 MB

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: I went to take a closer look at the old colt pistol and it's even nicer in person than in the pics. But I must have gotten awestruck or had my rose colored glasses on or something cause after I brought it home I loaded it up to test fire it and when I looked down the sights to take my first shot I noticed something wasn't right. I rubbed my eyes and aimed again, and that's when I saw it, a small bulge in the barrel about 3/4 of the way down. My heart sank. After a more thorough inspection I decided to go ahead and test fire it. To my surprise, a softdrink can sitting 45 ft away went sky high when I pulled the trigger. 4 more shots offhand at 15 yds produced a sub 3 inch group. This old pistol might not be perfect but it sure does shoot like it is. I haven't made up my mind whether to keep it as is, rebarrel it, or trade it off. My question now is since the bulge does not seem to effect the accuracy, would it still be wise to install another barrel? I did find a pre woodsman target barrel online for $200. So I'm thinking it would still be within budget to get another barrel. What are your thoughts?
it would be rather amazing to see that a 22 round could bulge the [usually thick] barrel of a 22 but I guess it is possible. I would run a patch through it and see if their is a very easy spot where the bulge is. I did use a pipe cutter with a bearing in place of the cutter blade to work the bulge out of a 9mm barrel [relatively thin] for a friend - he has been shooting it for a few years with no issues in accuracy, etc

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it would be rather amazing to see that a 22 round could bulge the [usually thick] barrel of a 22 but I guess it is possible. I would run a patch through it and see if their is a very easy spot where the bulge is. I did use a pipe cutter with a bearing in place of the cutter blade to work the bulge out of a 9mm barrel [relatively thin] for a friend - he has been shooting it for a few years with no issues in accuracy, etc
I thought about rolling the bulge out in a manner similar to that but didn't think of a pipe cutter and roller bearing. I'm wondering if it can be done without marring the finish up too bad

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about rolling the bulge out in a manner similar to that but didn't think of a pipe cutter and roller bearing. I'm wondering if it can be done without marring the finish up too bad
his S&W barrel was not blued - so it cleaned up so you couldn't tell it had been fixed --- did you run a patch down the bore to see if you could detect the bulge? it should be obvious when you hit it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom