One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if its true, good riddance.

If they want to see more older bucks they need to start an education campaign like they did with the does. How about: "hunters in the know, watch'em grow!"
let each individual hunter decide what he/she wants.

Absolutely right!! Great idea, you should forward that to the wildlife commissioners.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://blog.newsok.com/outdoors/2013/02/04/buck-limit-rule-shot-down/

Ended in a very close race:
"Of the 1,809 public comments received by the Wildlife Department, 744 people favored the one buck proposal, 702 were against it and 363 people were against it but supported and suggested other regulations for stricter management to increase the number of older bucks."

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm good with whatever is decided, the people hunting around me have the same feelings about how we hunt and what we shoot. I do find it sad that only 1809 deer hunters decided what would/could happend with this proposal.
The proposal to reduce the buck limit for gun hunters was very controversial and the majority of Oklahoma deer hunters didn’t support it, Zelbst said.

The majority for, or against being only around 1,000 people?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm good with whatever is decided, the people hunting around me have the same feelings about how we hunt and what we shoot. I do find it sad that only 1809 deer hunters decided what would/could happend with this proposal.

The majority for, or against being only around 1,000 people?

I'm shocked as well. I thought it would be a hot ticket item.

I'm guessing the majority of deer hunters don't keep up with proposed ODW reg changes.
Thinking along those lines, I got to thinking about those around me that I know.

The majority don't access social media, and rarely even comment on legal issues. They rely on me to inform them. Some of these are in the 20 year old age group.

Yes, there are lots of the younger folks that are not on the net, and could care less about it.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its true, good riddance.

If they want to see more older bucks they need to start an education campaign like they did with the does. How about: "Hunters in the know, watch'em grow!"
Let each individual hunter decide what he/she wants.
I for one would support a program like my home state has. You purchase a hunting license with 2 tags. One doe, one either sex. Extra doe tags are 5 bucks. You may take 2 bucks only by using your either sex tag and purchasing a 20 dollar QDM tag. The quality deer management tag has a 15" minimum. You may shoot anything you feel is appropriate. However, if the inside spread is less than 15 inches, you will pay a fine. It's not cheap either so as to be a deterrent. With these 2 tags, you can only take 2 bucks per year. You can not buy any more than one QDM tag. Feel free to take all the does you want, 5 bucks each after your first doe tag.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If its true, good riddance.

If they want to see more older bucks they need to start an education campaign like they did with the does. How about: "Hunters in the know, watch'em grow!"
Let each individual hunter decide what he/she wants.

the problem with this is the guys that join my land shoots today what i am wanting 3 or 4 years from now

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the problem with this is the guys that join my land shoots today what i am wanting 3 or 4 years from now

How would a one buck limit fix that problem??? If they are willing to shoot immature bucks now, do you really think a new law would change that???

ODWC harvest statistics show that only about 8% of hunters in Oklahoma kill more than one buck per year, a one buck limit really wouldn't do much to reduce the number of bucks killed.

What it would do is encourage more people to fill tags for wives, kids and friends, who don't hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom