One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to shoot a doe this year. When I bought my tags I bought only a doe tag, then I realized that since I'm hunting public land in the panhandle I can only shoot a buck. So I had to buy a buck tag. I guess I don't care either way as long as the population is controlled.

Ruger76

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like that idea of buck limit during muzzle and gun but I wish they would put an antler restriction
I am pretty sure what I just said will ruffle some feathers.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like that idea of buck limit during muzzle and gun but I wish they would put an antler restriction
I am pretty sure what I just said will ruffle some feathers.

Yes, many people won't like antler restrictions. The county I hunt in Texas has them, and it has definitely helped.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen the difference it made going from a 3 buck state to a 2 buck state and would be in favor of 1 buck for ML or gun. The idea of shooting a doe to earn a second tag is very interesting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hearing that the ODW will be online check in only next season. I can't confirm this, but it follows several other states like Texas where they don't even have to check them in?
Some TX guys confirm this?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen the difference it made going from a 3 buck state to a 2 buck state

Care to give details of the difference you have seen???

Public land or private???

Are you certain the difference you have seen is directly attributable to the limit reduction, or could the difference you have seen be caused by other factors??

In order to assert that a regulation change has made a difference, there must be verifiable proof, and I have seen nothing published by ODWC that confirms or refutes any claims of an improvement in the quality of bucks harvested caused directly by the reduction in buck limits. Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying I haven't seen it and I have seen nothing published that supports it??

I have personally seen an increase in buck numbers and quality on my property. Of course, this comes after having not killed a single buck on the place in 4 or 5 years, plus, we enrolled the property in the Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program and have been working to improve habitat. That's not to say that we weren't trying to kill bucks during that period, but we made the decision not to kill immature bucks and, consequently, we did not take any.

Bottom line, if you want better quality bucks, you must control the harvest of immature deer and you do that through education and getting people on the same page, not by reducing the opportunity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom