Open carry with a cocked pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uh huh.

Come on, man, calm down. Clearly in my post I was referring to people who are carrying daily as part of their duties. I may not be in the military but I am from a military family and have the utmost respect from our military members and those who serve or have served. It has nothing to do with dissing the military. I simply was pointing out that of the number of individuals in military service, the vast majority are not part of the actual front-line fighting force. Yes, to be absolutely correct, one can still be killed and in danger on a base as a "paper pusher" or "support staff"... but we weren't talking about (and I wasn't referencing) MOS as a function of danger or value in contribution. I make no distinction regarding front-line and non-front-line military service members for most any other conversation - if you serve, you serve. My point was simply about those who actively carry firearms as part of their daily duties. I guess people being described as "not on the sharp end" (meaning, the sharp end of the stick, not the intelligence spectrum, if anyone is making that leap) is somehow insulting. I wouldn't have thought so, but I suppose it's possible. If anyone of current or former military service (or their friend, family member, coworker, hairdresser, lawn care professional or passing acquaintance) feels that way, please accept my apology.

Sorry if you think my utmost respect for military members makes me one of those people who "likes to make claims and statements about those who have worn or are wearing a uniform," because I used a turn of phrase I have picked up from popular fiction works to describe typically non-combatant military personnel. My apologies.

that's exactly how I read it, combat MOS get more range time and weapons training than logistics,supply,mechanics etc

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

NO way I'm screwing up a tried and true 1911 with a questionable at best mod ... totally comfortable with condition 3 carry 1911. had no problems with condition one until safety got wiped off with no input from me.

1911 even with hammer safety accidentally wiped off, still has grip safety intact or IMHO about same as a glock with no safety.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned...I always thought you seemed to be a decent sort of guy until you posted the above statement about "most people in the military aren't on the sharp end." Since there are no longer clear-cut lines of battle, that young paper-pusher or support staff of one kind or the other are just as likely to be blown to hell by an IED as anyone else serving. Your post was in poor taste, IMO. But hey, it wouldn't be the first time here on OSA I got into a pissin' contest with someone who is not military but likes to make claims and statements about those who have worn or are wearing a uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I though you left like 8 months ago???
Thanks to all who responded.
Some clarification:
I'm not familiar with all modern firearms, My interests lie in historical and black powder firearms. Many of those don't even have safeties!
The gun in question wasn't a 1911, which I am familiar with.
I wasn't challenging him. I was asking a question, as I did when I began this post.
Based on my limited knowledge, I suspected that the gun in question was being carried in an unsafe manner. I don't have a problem with open carry. I do have a problem with a gun being carried unsafely.
Based on what some of you have said, certain guns CAN be carried safely while cocked. Is this correct?
Thanks,
Rick
With all respect Sir, it did come across that your knowledge of 1911 style forearms were very limited and it came across in the manner in which you worded the original post.
I see no issue with docked and locked method, it's just hoe 1911s are to be carried.

Sent from no where

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NO way I'm screwing up a tried and true 1911 with a questionable at best mod ... totally comfortable with condition 3 carry 1911.
Questionable in what way? Developed by engineers in Belgium, factory fitted by FN to its own line of 9mm and .40 S&W Hi Powers in 2003-2004, adapted to the 1911 because of the similarities between JMB's 1911 and his BHP, and offered for sale by Cylinder & Slide, one of the top BHP/1911 shops in the country. The folks at C&S are not known for selling products that are "questionable at best". The SFS mod is well engineered, totally reliable, and thoroughly proven. I had a HP in .40 S&W with the SFS that I dearly wish I had back.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"With all respect Sir, it did come across that your knowledge of 1911 style forearms were very limited and it came across in the manner in which you worded the original post.
I see no issue with docked and locked method, it's just hoe 1911s are to be carried."

Belev dat....yo....;/

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"With all respect Sir, it did come across that your knowledge of 1911 style forearms were very limited and it came across in the manner in which you worded the original post.
I see no issue with docked and locked method, it's just hoe 1911s are to be carried."

Belev dat....yo....;/
The beauty of trying to type while multi tasking haha. Oops.

Sent from no where

Latest posts

Top Bottom