Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

Lycus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Or maybe allowing off duty officers to open carry. Regular civilians still have to conceal their weapon but off duty officers could open carry.

What's the point in that?

Not to be offensive, but I have trouble comprehending people who favor carry rights with X limitations. What part of …shall not be infringed is unclear?

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think both open and concealed carry should be legal and without permit.

+1

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It doesn't say - the right of the people to keep and conceal arms.

Personally, 99% of the time I would still carry concealed - but there shouldn't be a law

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think both open and concealed carry should be legal and without permit.

That said, I wouldn't carry openly because I feel you lose any tactical advantage. I don't believe it would be a great deterrent because at some point criminals would become used to seeing it and simply plan a different attack.

+1 My thoughts exactly.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should have put (other) ... oh well. Either way it's tactically stupid unless you own a decent amount of land. Don't really think it's a deterrent especially from the stupid headstrong criminal types. But YMMV.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have put (other) ... oh well. Either way it's tactically stupid unless you own a decent amount of land. Don't really think it's a deterrent especially from the stupid headstrong criminal types. But YMMV.

When I see anyone carrying openly I always size them up....think of ways to take their gun.

I saw this Tulsa County deputy in line at the post office one time....think it was last year....carrying in an open top Fobus holster.
He was not paying attention at all to his surroundings and was totally task fixated. He was almost elderly and about half my size anyone could have grabbed that gun.
Since I don't like jail, I resisted the urge to take his gun away and then hand it back to him. :D

I really don't like to see stuff like that especially from LE persons.
I think you have a responsibility to keep your weapon more secure.

However, I often see officers who have an acute awareness of their weapon and they will maintain contact with it in crowded places.

azmrb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Weapon Retention.

That's also an issue alright.

How many LEO's are killed with their own weapons?
And that's in spite of the fact that most LEO's are trained or at least aware of the issue, as opposed to ordinary carrying citizens.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgot to add, I think that anyone should have the right to as they please on their property.

Latest posts

Top Bottom