Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

DBW

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Voted "other" since the method of carry is mute per the 2nd Amendment... regardless of any current federal, state, or local restriction that most people are indoctrinated to follow out of fear.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in an open carry state (KY) that by state constitution limits government to regulating concealed carry, where guns can be fired, and off-limits areas/procedures. A loaded gun in a glovebox in defined as NOT concealed, and is therefore legal without any license. So is open carry.

Growing up, I thought all pickups came with a loaded revolver in the glovebox, and if you were going to take your gun somewhere, you just picked it up or put it on.

However, you did not and do not see lots of people open carrying downtown in crowded areas in KY. Hard to explain, it's just a cultural thing you either catch on, or you never lived it and can't imagine.

No offense, but listening to some people who have never lived with open carry is sorta like listening to 13-year olds talk about sex. They know all the words but just don't understand the music.

I sure miss just strapping on a gun if I'm going to the range and stopping for gas without having to worry that it's concealed. And I am really horked that I have to be careful in my own yard that the anti-gun neighbor does not see. I had a new neighbor call the sheriff in KY complaining about my wearing a pistol while walking around my property, and the Sheriff told him to mind his own business and "don't mess with him".

OK is comparatively more restrictive than some residents realize.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the point in that?

Not to be offensive, but I have trouble comprehending people who favor carry rights with X limitations. What part of …shall not be infringed is unclear?

There are a lot of people who believe the 2A's "keep" or bear" doesn't mean to allow or rather protect "carry".
There are just people who don't believe that.

IMO, they are wrong.

praecorloth

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think its a HUGE misconception to think everyone would open carry if permitted. I suppose a few who dunt actually DO anythin while carryin would not be bothered by a few pounds lashed to em all day.

++

For example, Minnesota allows for open carry (we don't actually have a "conceal and carry" permit, it's just a carry permit. You choose to conceal or open carry.) and I don't see anyone open carrying, though I know we easily have several thousand (if not tens of thousands) carry permits out and about.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am with J.P. on giving away any tactical advantage.

I do believe that the 2nd Amendment covers all types of carry issues and that permits by states actually violate our coveted right.

I think if you want to carry it should be your choice of concealed or open.

I also believe that the 2nd Amendment should be the only gun law on the books.

DBW

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do believe that the 2nd Amendment covers all types of carry issues and that permits by states actually violate our coveted right.

I think if you want to carry it should be your choice of concealed or open.

I also believe that the 2nd Amendment should be the only gun law on the books.

Be careful... there are some on this forum who think government has the right to tell us what to do by requiring citizens to acquire a CCW.

The 2nd Amendment actually isn't a gun law. It's a prohibition on government's actions and activities.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful... there are some on this forum who think government has the right to tell us what to do by requiring citizens to acquire a CCW.

The 2nd Amendment actually isn't a gun law. It's a prohibition on government's actions and activities.

Actually there are some very intelligent people on this forum who simply interpret it differently from others.

Reaction score
Here in Virginia, we have unrestricted Open Carry except for certain places (court houses, schools, prisons, etc) No license is required.

In fact it is the only legal way for a citizen to carry here in a restaurant if it serves any alcohol. Perhaps as a side effect of that, a group of Virginians have made a point of open carrying. Most of them are VCDL members, and all of them are active in making sure that the letter of the law is carried out with regard to state preemption.

They get together for dinners regularly and are some of the most active members in the VCDL, though there can be friction at times between the concealed only and open only factions.

Myself, I do both. And when if I am OC, I probably have a backup concealed.

Open Carry Dot Org and their forums have a lot of information on Virginia and other states with open carry. They do have a forum for each state, though some stats are more active than others. I urge anyone with interest in the subject to use them as a resource. They are knowledgeable passionate about educating the whys and wherefores of open carry.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually there are some very intelligent people on this forum who simply interpret it differently from others.

There is the problem.

The firearm community is a house divided. If it continues on that path, the house of cards will fall.

The part of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, is lost, over looked and deemed not meaningfull in todays world.

Why is it that those who support a un waivering stand on the second are called extremist, yet if it was the first being attacked and picked apart by pieces there would be an uproar if a person could not go to a church of their choosing or read a paper, or just expressing their views on a street corner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom