Open message to everyone who says "I would like to try shooting a match"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DO IT! I used to say that all the time and thought it would be a bunch of people that shot professionally (or all the time) and I would just feel out of place. was I ever wrong. Since I started going to the Carry Gun match at Heartland Outdoors, my shooting confidence and overall gun handling skills have gone up considerably.

Most of all, the people that compete in the matches are just regular 'ol people. Sure, most of them can out shoot me (pretty easy to do) but many are just there to practice shooting and gun handling in a setting other than standing still and poking holes in paper. Just regular people training and practicing a skill that might save their life someday.

There are always first-time shooters there so you won't feel alone. And no one there acts like a "big deal" even though some of them actually are a big deal.

In other words, if you have been putting it off because you are nervous or worried about how you will shoot or what someone might think about you:

STOP WORRYING AND COME OUT!

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David, I even wonder if a new shooter orientation might be a good idea so that new shooters can get comfortable with some of the terminology, procedures, sights and sounds of a match before the ACTUAL match? Kind of an "ice-breaker". Even have a live fire "mini" stage

BC

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As one of those that would love to, but always comes up with an excuse not to, I think an introductory type class would be an excellent idea.

I'll be busy that weekend, though.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have considered that.....will get back to you.

I'll bet it could be done in 30 minutes (or less if there is no live fire).

And just so I won't be one of those people who come up with GREAT ideas for some one ELSE to implement, I will volunteer to help with an "ice-breaker stage" if you decide to do one.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DO IT! I used to say that all the time and thought it would be a bunch of people that shot professionally (or all the time) and I would just feel out of place. was I ever wrong. Since I started going to the Carry Gun match at Heartland Outdoors, my shooting confidence and overall gun handling skills have gone up considerably.

Most of all, the people that compete in the matches are just regular 'ol people. Sure, most of them can out shoot me (pretty easy to do) but many are just there to practice shooting and gun handling in a setting other than standing still and poking holes in paper. Just regular people training and practicing a skill that might save their life someday.

There are always first-time shooters there so you won't feel alone. And no one there acts like a "big deal" even though some of them actually are a big deal.

In other words, if you have been putting it off because you are nervous or worried about how you will shoot or what someone might think about you:

STOP WORRYING AND COME OUT!

+1.000!!!! I was, and pretty much still am, a new competition shooter. I was always worried about looking stupid, shooting horrible, etc... Now I've done two IDPA matches and one ProAm match. Everyone is friendly, helpfull, and encouraging! They never say "don't do that", or laugh when I shoot poorly on a stage. You know what they do, they say "don't worry. You're just starting out and can only get better." Or, "Man I've done a lot worse then that." They are very good about giving advice, not criticism, and share techniques they've learned. Everyone is always laughing and joking and having a great time! Just dive in and have fun!!!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well said Burk.

I almost never place above the middle of the pack. But I'm right up there with the 1st place winner when it comes to having fun! It doesn't matter what type of match, I just like the noise of gunfire :gun2: and enjoy the company of the people.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But I'm right up there with the 1st place winner when it comes to having fun!

You know what, you might even enjoy it more than they do. If you shoot a "don't shoot" or have a "Mike" (miss) it doesn't ruin your match.

A five second penalty on a 30 second stage doesn't bother one as much as a five second penalty on a 10 second stage does.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is what I did that got me to shoot in IDPA when time/money permits. I went out to USSA and watch part of a USPSA match. While there I talked to a couple of people about IDPA and decided to go to the next IDPA match. I went shot really really bad and went back the next time because I had a lot of fun.

To be 100% honest if this is your first match you are not going to win. And you are not going to have the coolest/best gun. Get that into your head. Also get into your head that no one cares that you are not the best shot or if you have the best gun. The only thing that matters is you are safe and having fun. You will have way more fun than you think. 99% of the people out there are more than willing to help you out.

For those of you that are really competitive go out there and shoot a match. See how you do. Then go to the next match with a goal. Improved accuracy, improved time.

If you think this is a bit too blunt sorry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom