Open message to everyone who says "I would like to try shooting a match"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can honestly say that no one cares how you shoot, or what your ability level is. If (when) you screw up, dont feel bad, dont feel like youve embarrassed yourself, because honestly, I dont care!

This is a fun sport, fun event where hopefully you are learning a little about your shooting, learning important safety skills, and getting better with your overall gun handling skills.
When it comes down to it, its a personal, individual match. No one will look down on you, and while some of the better shooters (and some that think theyre good ;)) will brag a little, its all in fun and not many people take themselves seriously. If you see anyone that does, its their problem; not yours!

Those that think theyre good we don't take serious

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last IDPA match I shot using a G19, in an IWB, under an untucked shirt, wearing gloves, while shooting without my prescription shooting glasses (figured I wouldn't have them on if the SHTF on the street). It was kinda fun! :D

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I don't want to start a new thead under a different heading so I'll announce it here:

THIS SUNDAY, from 5 pm to 7 pm, there will be an "Intro to Competitive Shooting" class held at Heartland Outdoors in Edmond.

In it, we'll cover ALL the things you need to know to be safe and have fun, even at your very first match.

We'll cover range commands, handgun readiness, drawing and reholstering safely, how to move safely, how to reload on the move and more.

THEN we'll practice all these things so you'll be safe and have fun.

There have been a few inquiries about "getting started" and this thead on this very topic has been getting a lot of posts.

This short class would be the perfect way to shake those "first time butterflies" loose so you can just enjoy and shoot the match.

Cost is $25. Bring gun, holster, mag pouch(es) and 50 rds of ammo.

If you know of someone who would or should do this, tell them about this class.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED. PM me.

I know it's short notice, but Heartland thought it'd be a good idea and I agree. Let's get this class filled !

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I don't want to start a new thead under a different heading so I'll announce it here:

THIS SUNDAY, from 5 pm to 7 pm, there will be an "Intro to Competitive Shooting" class held at Heartland Outdoors in Edmond.

In it, we'll cover ALL the things you need to know to be safe and have fun, even at your very first match.

We'll cover range commands, handgun readiness, drawing and reholstering safely, how to move safely, how to reload on the move and more.

THEN we'll practice all these things so you'll be safe and have fun.

There have been a few inquiries about "getting started" and this thead on this very topic has been getting a lot of posts.

This short class would be the perfect way to shake those "first time butterflies" loose so you can just enjoy and shoot the match.

Cost is $25. Bring gun, holster, mag pouch(es) and 50 rds of ammo.

If you know of someone who would or should do this, tell them about this class.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED. PM me.

I know it's short notice, but Heartland thought it'd be a good idea and I agree. Let's get this class filled !

I just posted this on the compettion forum too.

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As one of those that would love to, but always comes up with an excuse not to, I think an introductory type class would be an excellent idea.

I'll be busy that weekend, though.

The practical pistol classes at H&H will have you well on your way to feeling comfortable in a match setting while also honing skills in self defense. You can even tell them you're there to get ready to start doing matches and it will be pointed out to you which parts of the classes will be most beneficial to the future match shooter. The classes are an excellent value and can be taken repeatedly at a reduced cost for re-taking them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom