Opinions Wanted: First Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guessing an HK P30 is out due to cost?

Unsure if you tried a Gen4 G17 with small backstrap, or even a Gen4 G19 with the smallest……. Still doesn't compare to a P30, but the Gen4 G17 gets 85%-90% of the way there. But you really need to try the different backstraps to get a good handle on the unit for Yay or Nay.

Desert Eagle?

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guessing an HK P30 is out due to cost?

Unsure if you tried a Gen4 G17 with small backstrap, or even a Gen4 G19 with the smallest……. Still doesn't compare to a P30, but the Gen4 G17 gets 85%-90% of the way there. But you really need to try the different backstraps to get a good handle on the unit for Yay or Nay.

Desert Eagle?
HKs are generally out due to cost, yes.
We shot a Gen 3 G19 and didn't like it too much. I may give it one more chance next time we go to H&H, but it seemed like a much snappier gun to shoot than the M&P. I'm sure that's good in some way, but my wife liked the longer travel of the M&P trigger pull. The grip angle of the Glock also feels a little weird to me.

Desert Eagle....haha....

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Desert Eagle makes the Baby Eagle in 9mm. It's a great pistol, somewhat similar to the CZ-75, though it's balanced different, more muzzle heavy than the CZ.

My wife swears by her full size steel frame Witness. It's heavy and soft shooting and fits her small hands surprisingly well for such a large pistol.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its quite possible you wont find "one" gun for "both" of you.

And "quite" possible that youll have more than one, different situations need different "tools".

Youve looked at some of the most common guns out there, may be time to choose.

Good Luck in your search... ;)

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an M&P 9 and like it. I've also got several M&P 40s and really like them. Make sure your wife is maintaining a firm grip and wrist when firing a semi-auto pistol. I've seen several failures to return to battery / jams / failures to fire due to the shooter having a "limp" wrist or grip when shooting. If she cannot maintain a firm wrist and grip you might want to consider a revolver.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since neither of you are experienced pistol shooters, and you asked for opinions. I would say stay away from semi auto pistol's, and get a revolver. At least until you have some experience under your belt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom