Opinions Wanted: First Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive been looking really hard at this^^^
Well built, reliable, better trigger available,...and priced Right

May have to pick one up.

OH my Buddy has one , I forgot, Ill just borrow his..... ;)
I had the original all black SD9 with the M&P sights. I'd imagine that for the most part they are identical to the VE. The only problem I had with the gun was that if my left thumb was resting against the slide the slide would't lock to the rear after the last round. I guess that would be because the spring isn't all that aggressive. Other than that I ran a buttload of rounds through it and had a blast. The only reason I got rid of it was that I got spoiled once I got my first 1911 and felt that sweet single action trigger.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I put about 150 rounds through one at H&H in OKC the other day without any issues. My wife had about 5 or 6 failures (failure to fire?), but I re-loaded all her misfires and they all went bang for me. I'm sure its a combination of things, including the fact that the one we used at H&H had probably been abused and used a lot.

Have you had any issues with your 40s not firing (assuming you have good ammo)?

her grip was not firm enough. the hand and wrist must support the gun well enough to allow the action to work. the m&p is a good choice,btw.
however, you could hyperspace to the darkside....revolver, you can hold it with a wet noodle and it will go bang every time.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
her grip was not firm enough. the hand and wrist must support the gun well enough to allow the action to work. the m&p is a good choice,btw.
however, you could hyperspace to the darkside....revolver, you can hold it with a wet noodle and it will go bang every time.
I think she will get there with a few more trips to the range. She's been a trooper and improved a lot in just a couple trips. I have no doubt she'll be fine with a semi auto.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been looking really hard at this^^^
Well built, reliable, better trigger available,...and priced Right

May have to pick one up.

OH my Buddy has one , I forgot, Ill just borrow his..... ;)

I was able to handle/fondle/shoot a buddies' SD40 and I was surprised how much I liked it. Feels good & fits well (kind like the FNS) - shoots straight - good trigger - not a lot of recoil - nice pistol in my opinion.
If you're looking into a 9mm, check out the S&W SD9...they can be had for around 300-330$ depending on where you're looking. That leaves a nice hunk of change for extra ammo and range time...maybe that SDA class too.

[Broken External Image]

Or.....just get a Glock and call it a day.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was able to handle/fondle/shoot a buddies' SD40 and I was surprised how much I liked it. Feels good & fits well (kind like the FNS) - shoots straight - good trigger - not a lot of recoil - nice pistol in my opinion.
If you're looking into a 9mm, check out the S&W SD9...they can be had for around 300-330$ depending on where you're looking. That leaves a nice hunk of change for extra ammo and range time...maybe that SDA class too.

[Broken External Image]

Or.....just get a Glock and call it a day.
Lots of recommendations for this gun! I'm assuming that price is the main factor, but I've picked one up and it felt "good". Not perfect ergonomics by any means, but better than a Glock (in my opinion).

I'm basically torn between SD9VE, M&P 9, Walther PPQ, and the FNS 9. All of them feel good in my hands, but the Walther, FNS, and standard M&P 9 feel the best.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't plan to carry this particular gun very often unless it is in the car or in a backpack. As such, we would like it to be affordable, reliable, and intuitive. Finally, neither of us are experienced pistol shooters, so I'd like this gun to be something that's fairly user friendly and easy to shoot.

Since neither of you are experienced pistol shooters, and you asked for opinions. I would say stay away from semi auto pistol's, and get a revolver. At least until you have some experience under your belt.

Reading the OP, this was my first thought, also. A revolver and an 870 are about as basic and reliable as a knife and fork.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of recommendations for this gun! I'm assuming that price is the main factor, but I've picked one up and it felt "good". Not perfect ergonomics by any means, but better than a Glock (in my opinion).

I'm basically torn between SD9VE, M&P 9, Walther PPQ, and the FNS 9. All of them feel good in my hands, but the Walther, FNS, and standard M&P 9 feel the best.

You will pay a little more for an M&P 9 over the SD9VE but I think you will be much happier.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will pay a little more for an M&P 9 over the SD9VE but I think you will be much happier.

Actually if you change the trigger out, put the better sights on it, you Basically have an M&P

$100 dollars cheaper...thats some good breakin boolits cabbage.... ;)

And we all know there Will be more guns, for a first gun, this is pretty good deal.

I have an M&P40, and Im still impressed.... :)

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would agree with some of the others and go with a revolver. Goes bang every time and not any extra stuff to go wrong. Get one made for .357 then start practicing with .38 and move up to .357 mag. That's how I started introducing my wife to pistols and while she can shoot a semi-auto, she always goes back to her revolver as her preference. Besides, there will definitely be more guns to come!

Latest posts

Top Bottom