Opinions Wanted: First Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its quite possible you wont find "one" gun for "both" of you.

And "quite" possible that youll have more than one, different situations need different "tools".

Youve looked at some of the most common guns out there, may be time to choose.

Good Luck in your search... ;)
That's a fair point, but we're about the same size (she is 6 ft tall) and have the same general opinions regarding ergonomics. Also, (as I'm sure you've all experienced) its dang near impossible to just have one gun. I'm buying this thing KNOWING that we'll eventually have another and possibly more. That said, I also know that its really tough to know what your preferences, strengths/weaknesses, needs, etc...are until you have owned and operated one for a while. That's why I want to get into it with good value, reliability, and something easy to shoot so we can learn and grown into it.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an M&P 9 and like it. I've also got several M&P 40s and really like them. Make sure your wife is maintaining a firm grip and wrist when firing a semi-auto pistol. I've seen several failures to return to battery / jams / failures to fire due to the shooter having a "limp" wrist or grip when shooting. If she cannot maintain a firm wrist and grip you might want to consider a revolver.
I suspect this is the main issue along with the fact that the gun we were shooting was very used. I have no doubt that with some practice, my wife will be just fine shooting a semi auto 9mm. She improved drastically from the first time we shot.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 17 or 19. Easy to operate and accurate. 17 if you don't plan on concealed carry, 19 if you think at some point you might. 19 is the best of both worlds. Had several can't recommend them enough as a one gun, or starter gun.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
M&P 9 for sure. I have 2 m&ps both 40 one is a compact. And they have to be my favorite tupperware guns. S&W customer service is the best around.

Gotta go along with this. Outstanding, inexpensive gun backed by a lifetime guarantee. Mags and holsters are plentiful due to the M&P's popularity. I think the M&P would be the best choice.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since neither of you are experienced pistol shooters, and you asked for opinions. I would say stay away from semi auto pistol's, and get a revolver. At least until you have some experience under your belt.

This is the advice of the old and wise from the past and often present times. Published in shooting magazines and online by experts. A lot to be said for a .38/.357 revolver for sure. Just need a gun and a box of cartridges with a revolver....no mags to fiddle with...no safety or other levers to try figure-out...no having to load the chamber 'cause you loaded the chambers when you loaded the gun.

You can look at various makes/models of handguns until you go blind! Personally I think the advice of old is still sound..however I might consider a 9mm auto that's got a good reputation and fits both male and female shooter. Would also consider buying a good .22 pistol(then ya got two guns!).....This just to get started. Once you're up and running you will buy all sorts of guns and accessories.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP -- again, try a Gen4 G17 and G19, swap the backstraps out and try each one. Also, put hands on the P30. If yur doin one and dun, it may be worth a try. But, I still feel you will have a diff. opinion on the Gen4's vs the Gen3 when you 'customize' it a bit.

As to the CZ / EAA crowd, good fit but the midget slide height isn't ideal by any means, granted everyone has kung fu fingers and ubber dexterity during 'operations' , and/or you like smashing the rear sight with ur hand to cycle the slide. Nice shooting units though, I do agree.

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to H&H a little while ago and tried a Glock 17. I want to love Glocks.....but I can't. The grip angle and overall width of the grip just don't fit me well.

I picked up several other guns today including a CZ 75 P07, Glock 17 and 19, Sig 2022, FNS 9, and the Walther PPQ.

I didn't like the grip on the CZ at all and it felt pretty wide. The Sig grip felt similar to a Glock, but it seemed like a good gun.

I really liked the fit of the FNS 9 and the Walther. Both of them fit my hand like a glove. However.....they didn't have either of those to rent.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M&P9 would be a great option. Check out what FNH had to offer. Look at the Walther P99, that is a very excellent pistol. Better than the PPQ, IMHO.
Ruger also has a ton to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom