Opinions Wanted: First Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would agree with some of the others and go with a revolver. Goes bang every time and not any extra stuff to go wrong. Get one made for .357 then start practicing with .38 and move up to .357 mag. That's how I started introducing my wife to pistols and while she can shoot a semi-auto, she always goes back to her revolver as her preference. Besides, there will definitely be more guns to come!

Why is it that everyone is tryin to put a revo in someones hand , that asked about a Specific Platform.

And again the same ...put a little j frame in a womans hand...Why??

They hurt like hell to shoot , espacially 357.

G19 or similar size , The auto part can be taught in a few hours ...then off to practice...Have Fun... ;)

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because the OP stated he and his Wife have little experience. I may be wrong, but I saw nothing about a J frame. On that I agree with you, but for a person with little or no experience. They should start with a revolver. OP stated it will be used for HD. They don't need to be trying to mess around with a safety or trying to chamber a round or if a Glock limp wristing it and get a FTF or FTE.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree... I don't like to try to push people to revolvers. I just don't like revolvers... they feel TOTALLY different in the hand than a semi-auto. Yes, they are reliable, but there are some fairly-significant limitations that go along with them, if you ask me. Feel/balance, capacity, reload speed, ergonomics, etc. No way I would carry a revolver for SD unless I just could not use something else. That's just me... my personal preference. I don't mind suggesting someone try a revolver if there are things that can't be corrected in their situation, but doesn't sound like this is the case.

A little bit of training goes a long way, and a lot of practice goes a much longer way, not to mention it's fun as hell.

Sounds to me like there's a grip problem with birry's wife, and he seems to agree. My wife has had some of those issues as well, but has managed through a few short trips to the range to overcome them and now shoots quite well instinctively. And she's 5'3" and 115 pounds (soaking wet).

Just my $0.02.

I owned the P99 and still remember it fondly as one of my favorite guns ever. The Shield is ok, but it's really too small for me to utilize all that well. I have a Glock model 22 (Gen 3) which I like ok and am reasonably accurate with. But it's a Glock/block. Very functional and capable, but not fun nor ergonomic, in my mind. The M&Ps feel better. No one's mentioned the XD? I like those as well, though probably not as much as the M&P.

Haven't had a change to try the CZ or FN (the FN is VERY high on my list) or the PPQ... although with my great experiences with the P99, I would hold out high hopes for that last one.

Hated the Ruger LC9 (I think that was the one?).

Bottom line, as above - try a bunch, shoot what you can, find the best compromise and buy it. Shoot the hell out of it. Practice and go to the ranges (somewhere other than H&H?) at a time when someone there can spend a little time with you, or get one or more members here to go with you and give you some pointers. Training and practice will overcome almost all the limitations you can think of, and even average-sized women can handle a large, powerful firearm with a little practice. Easy-peasy... jump in with both feet and get wet, man. You'll find soon enough you're finding not just the excuses, but the means to expand your collection. :D

Welcome to the machine, baby! :D

birry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input, everyone! After a few warmup rounds, my wife can manage fairly good groups. I think her main issues are that she's only shot pistols about 3 times (and counting!) and she doesn't like the indoor range due to the noise and casings hitting her while she's trying to concentrate. She's already a little uncomfortable just shooting - then add all the noise and other people around and it makes her really nervous.

She has the same problem hitting a softball. She'll crush it when we practice, but then in games she'll strike out because people are watching her. However, our last range trip was cool. She managed her way through all her turns shooting and told me later that she pushed through all the nervousness. She reasoned that if she ever had to use a gun for self defense, she'd be crazy nervous, so she was practicing shooting and managing her nerves at the same time. Smart woman!

And I hate to say this, because I'm a newb, and you guys all have way more experience...but I think we're pretty much sold on getting a semi auto. They just feel better in our hands and I like the shape for potentially carrying. I may regret that decision someday, but hey, I'll probably wind up buying one down the road anyway just because!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because the OP stated he and his Wife have little experience. I may be wrong, but I saw nothing about a J frame. On that I agree with you, but for a person with little or no experience. They should start with a revolver. OP stated it will be used for HD. They don't need to be trying to mess around with a safety or trying to chamber a round or if a Glock limp wristing it and get a FTF or FTE.

AHH, read j frame into it , my bad

Glock, no safety, condition 1, can a 9mm be limp wristed?.....Yea I guess it Could... ;)

Thats why I said, boolits and training, Most problems , jams, chambering a round, mag changes, can be taught in a couple 2 hour sessions. ( and them More practice)

I just think its odd ,someone asks about xyz gun, and the answers are , What I use, my fav is this/with this holster...mebbe I'm gettin old and crotchety like you guys...( I didnt say Girls... ;) )

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you choose, eventually you may find that there are particular handguns suited to particular applications, and that you will begin to acquire more, and more...

Latest posts

Top Bottom