Optics Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been a scope snob for the last 20 years due to the guys I shot with, but I’ve discovered that I really don’t “need” a Swarovski Z6i to kill a pig or a deer and sure don’t to just punch paper. For mid range scopes, I’m a big fan of the original Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 scopes and have 4 or 5 of them, and these scopes can be bought on the used market for $450-500 and have really good glass. I’ve recently picked up a few used Nikon Buckmaster scopes to put on guns I don’t shoot much but want to keep scoped, and I’m really happy with them so far. I haven’t paid more than a $100 for the 3-9’s, but I did pay $175 shipped for a 4-14.
In reading through this post, you may have noticed a common theme, and that’s I don’t buy “new” scopes. There are deals to be had on used scopes if you look hard enough. Several years ago, I saw a Zeiss Diavari with an illuminated reticle for sale on GB, but the pawn shop selling it didn’t know what they had. I ended up with a $2500 scope for $975 shipped, and it’s mounted on my pig killing Encore right now.
Of all the rifles I own or have owned and killed stuff with, the one with the highest body count is the Ruger M77 Ultralite 270 Win that my parents gave me in 1985 that was topped with a $35 Tasco Pronghorn 3-9.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like catching things on sale for budget.
I bought Tasco and Center Point scopes and they did very well for me for years.
Under 80 bucks.
Many years later I got more rifles and needed more scopes and the Tasco scopes and Center Point were hit and miss and mostly miss.
I tried Pursuit brand from Bass Pro. Fail.
I tried Bushnell brands and shook the glass out of them.
I was given a Nikon 3-9 x40 as a gift and WOW that glass was awesome.

I then began stepping up my game to Nikon scopes 3-9 and 2.5-10 and 4-12 Nikons and found out for longer range shooting or very close in shooting Parallax was killing my groups.

I need a scope with adjustable Parallax if I want tiny groups.
I tried a few and the best one was my Old Centerpoint 4-16x40.
It just hangs in there year after year on my 30-06.

Glass is not as clear as it needs to be but I shot smaller groups with it than the 4-12 Nikon.
Smaller reticle and adjustable Objective (Parallax).

I have taken many of my guns out to shoot side by side at 500 yards at paper and a couple times the .243 Axis rifle has out shot the .308 Model 10 savage heavy barrel and the .243 has a 3-9x50 Tasco.

If you can hold even glass that is a bit lacking will still shoot well if it will hold zero.

That scope I mentioned in post #2 though is just awesome and I do not want to buy any other scopes and have a mind to sell my Nikons and Crossfires.
But the Center Point on my 30-06 will stay put as it has served me very well.

For many years all I had was a 30-30 with a Redfield Widefield fixed 4 power scope and it served me well out to 250 yards.
Clear glass makes up for extra power.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best scope typically is the first focal plane design that runs $1000 or more because it retains POA no matter what magnification is dialed in vs second focal plane design that will change the POA at different magnifications.
Suprisingly enough Vortex has come out with two models, one under $400 and the other a tad over $500. I have both and am really impressed with the clarity of the glass and the ability to hold zero even after rough handling.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-diamondback-tactical-ffp-4-16x44-moa.html
https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-pst-gen-ii-3-15x44-riflescope-black.html
I agree, I have a diamondback on one of my rifles and the clarity and ability to hold zero are amazing for the cost. I have only zero’d in this scope once and have had it mounted for going on 6 years now.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Vortex Razor HD 5-20 on my GA Precision 7wsm and have taken it to 1500 yards. A Bushnell Match Pro 5-30 on my Tikka 260 that I have taken to 940 yards and a Vortex Razor gen II-E 1-6 on my JP Enterprise which I’ve only shot to 100 yards.

All of these were bought via military discount and were considered budget for intended use.

I have a Tasco ?-12 power on a Rem 222 that I inherited and will one day be replaced due to poor glass quality and a Nikon 4-14 collecting dust which could end up on the triple duce one day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom