OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well here we are at Monday eve. Neighbors dog is barking at the moon or something.
I remember when living in town over 35 years ago hearing the crescendo of dogs barking when sirens came around that neighborhood.
We have had many dogs since living in the sticks. Brought into the home as soon as they are weaned.
Never had one bark. When they heard a vehicle coming up the road, they certainly heard them before we saw them and would run to the front window.
I've heard barking is a learned trait from other dogs and read exactly the opposite.
As there are no other dogs out here, I'm going with the learned trait.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

D'Artagnan

Marksman
Reaction score
With regards to that in bold letters above. I guess I'm not "everyone" because I have never hit one in 64 years of licensed driving, including a number of years as a professional driver.

Now, in all honesty, I almost hit one several years ago. Wee early morning hours, we were leaving Kansas on Highway 50 and going into Colorado. I had just dimmed my lights for an oncoming vehicle and looked up to see three deer (I swear they were the size of Elk) crossing the road. The lead one was in the right hand lane, the second was in the middle of the road, and the third was in the left hand lane.

I figured at the time that I was definitely going to get one of them, but the lead deer leaped off into the ditch, the middle one turned back, which gave me a space between them to swerve and go through it. No bumps, and when we got to a destination, I checked both sides of the front of our Expedition and there wasn't even evidence that I had even brushed one of them.
I meant everyone down here in Southern Oklahoma where we drive these rural roads and Highways everyday (night). Not a single trip between my town Coalgate, and Atoka 12 miles, at night will you not see deer. That's pretty big talk but unless you live here you don't know. Tons off creeks and woods and if your near a creek, you'll find deer.
Saw a couple of doe's last night at 9:30 pm between my home and HWY 69 which is about 12 miles or less.
So yes. If you drive at night here, for a life time, you will hit deer at some point. If you just drive in daylight, no.
We have no shortage of deer, turkeys and a ton of wild part Russian hogs (that I used to love to shoot). We are like an ad for pioneers crossing the plains (we are the plains) and having to hunt for a living. The only difference is not wild buffalo but some people keep them and use them as production beef or just to keep a piece of history.
I love my state and where I live

D'Artagnan

Marksman
Reaction score
As I've been told, air bags falling are very specific with the sensors built in that determine when the pressure of the crash is enough to deploy them.
My wife has hit two deer. One totaling the vehicle and the other a small ding that I fixed with a new headlight bezel.
The serious one was just North of our home. It ran out, she tried to evade which is a serious mistake.
Between the attempt to evade and the point of impact, it spun the vehicle around in the road, putting her in the ditch on the opposite side of the road, facing the opposite direction she was traveling.
She called me crying while I was at work. Told the boss see-ya when I get back and bailed. Thankfully no LEO in my travel path.
She was uninjured, just distraught more over hitting the deer and watching it on the side of the road struggling.
During my trip, two guys showed up in their pickup, saw the deer and my wife in the ditch. Jumped out, cut the throat of the deer, loaded it up and left without even checking on my wife. I saw the blood spot when arriving.
She was more traumatized by watching those guys than from the actual wreck.
I should be the poster child of the insurance companies considering the number of deer that I've prevented from causing automobile accidents, but that's another story.
I'm actually pleased it didn't deploy as they automatically total them and I think it's indicated on your title after that.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to that in bold letters above. I guess I'm not "everyone" because I have never hit one in 64 years of licensed driving, including a number of years as a professional driver.

Now, in all honesty, I almost hit one several years ago. Wee early morning hours, we were leaving Kansas on Highway 50 and going into Colorado. I had just dimmed my lights for an oncoming vehicle and looked up to see three deer (I swear they were the size of Elk) crossing the road. The lead one was in the right hand lane, the second was in the middle of the road, and the third was in the left hand lane.

I figured at the time that I was definitely going to get one of them, but the lead deer leaped off into the ditch, the middle one turned back, which gave me a space between them to swerve and go through it. No bumps, and when we got to a destination, I checked both sides of the front of our Expedition and there wasn't even evidence that I had even brushed one of them.
Well Terry I’ve hit enough to make up for your slacking.🤣
Since 1985, I’ve probably hit 2 dozen, and the majority of them were after 1998. Between my 2001 Ford F350 and 2004 F350, I had 9 confirmed kills.
Here in east Texas, deer numbers were pretty low until the mid 90’s, and before then you rarely saw a deer on the road. I live 7 miles from the post office, and I see deer in the road ditch almost every time I go check the mail (which I only do a couple times a week).

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally made it to the St James hotel in Cimarron, NM. Ate lunch there today, and got a few pictures, lots of history in that place and town.
20240610_133854.jpg
20240610_133916.jpg
20240610_140317.jpg
20240610_140353.jpg
20240610_140404.jpg
20240610_140411.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom