OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_9341.jpeg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Towards the top of the tower of these wind towers, one can see brown stains. My understanding is that when oil in the machinery needs changed, they just let it drain out and run down the towers. We saw a number of towers like these in Texas, all of which seemed to be older towers. And, they are still building towers in some areas there.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My project for the day if the rain/sprinkles stop soon. There is a creek between me and the “V” cottonwood tree. The left side died last year. Each side is about 3’ in diameter. I want to cut it so it drops and spans the creek as a natural bridge for the goats. Also I want to take it down on ‘my terms’ as if allowed to fall on its own it will crush 2 fences.

Attachments

• IMG_5139.jpeg
    IMG_5139.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My project for the day if the rain/sprinkles stop soon. There is a creek between me and the “V” cottonwood tree. The left side died last year. Each side is about 3’ in diameter. I want to cut it so it drops and spans the creek as a natural bridge for the goats. Also I want to take it down on ‘my terms’
as if allowed to fall on its own it will crush 2 fences.

Mission accomplished. Didn’t come down exactly where I wanted it due to it being hollow. But close enough

Attachments

• IMG_5142.jpeg
    IMG_5142.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My project for the day if the rain/sprinkles stop soon. There is a creek between me and the “V” cottonwood tree. The left side died last year. Each side is about 3’ in diameter. I want to cut it so it drops and spans the creek as a natural bridge for the goats. Also I want to take it down on ‘my terms’ as if allowed to fall on its own it will crush 2 fences.

That hollow bit worries me a bit. Back some years ago, we had our RV parked in a small mobile home park and a split tree like that was right next to our RV. I went out and around the RV one morning to dump and flush the holding tanks and saw that the one side away from us had fallen in the night. It was big enough to reach over a couple of other sites in the park.

I called the owner of the park and asked if we could move to another site that was empty. Even though she said she would be by after work to see the tree, she went ahead and came out that morning. Once she saw the condition of the fallen tree (it was also hollow all the way down into the ground), she called some people to come out and cut up the fallen tree and cut down the one that hadn't fallen. When it was down, it was also found to be hollow inside.

If that thing had been the one that fell, we would have probably been killed, as that tree part was right over our RV's bedroom.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. I have been falling trees for years and fairly adept at it now. Hollow trees WILL KILL you because they don’t follow the normal ‘rules’ etc. in particular here on my place the Blackjack oaks are particularly bad about it. One should always consider the tree you’re cutting is hollow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom