Ouch! Pit bulls at it again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would put it in the "Pit Bull Mix" and the "Labrador Mix" on the chart.

Yea, but you're a little more open minded than some.
Another series of questions are, "do they genetically test these dogs to determine breed or off of physical characteristics, or by word of the victim?"

My parents bought a dog they thought was a chihuahua. It kinda looks funny, so I found a website that does genetic testing and sent off the blood sample. Come to find out it's a mutt made of a yorkie, pug and a splash of corgi with absolutely zero chihuahua. My parents still say it's a chihuahua, passerby on the street says it's a chihuahua, but that's incorrect. If she were to bite someone, it'd go down as a chihuahua bite.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, but you're a little more open minded than some. Another series of questions are, "do they genetically test these dogs to determine breed or off of physical characteristics, or by word of the victim?" My parents bought a dog they thought was a chihuahua. It kinda looks funny, so I found a website that does genetic testing and sent off the blood sample. Come to find out it's a mutt made of a yorkie, pug and a splash of corgi with absolutely zero chihuahua. My parents still say it's a chihuahua, passerby on the street says it's a chihuahua, but that's incorrect. If she were to bite someone, it'd go down as a chihuahua bite.

That's effed. I can see your point. Makes me think of the dogs in "Hulk" after the mutate. Where is this place to get DNA looked at and how much does it cost? I have a couple of mutts and want to know if I'm right it not.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's effed. I can see your point. Makes me think of the dogs in "Hulk" after the mutate. Where is this place to get DNA looked at and how much does it cost? I have a couple of mutts and want to know if I'm right it not.

http://www.wisdompanel.com
There are more, you can even get the collection kit off amazon.
I think it was around $100

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the other problem is pit bull is not technically a "breed". other cities that have done BSL, when they asked cops to identify pit bulls by pictures, they were often wrong, and disagreed... so how do you effectively ban a breed that doesn't exist?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

The term pit bull is a generic term used to describe dogs with similar physical characteristics. Usually a "pit bull" is considered one of several breeds including the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier or any mix thereof. In some parts of the world, the American Bulldog and Dogo Argentino are also classified as a "Pit Bull-type" dog, despite major genetic differences. Any dog that is mixed with a "bully breed" may also be called a "pit bull" including those that are descended from the English Bulldog, French Bulldog, Boston Terrier and Cane Corso.[3] The pitbull is not a distinct breed which may make it difficult for experts to identify,[4][5][6] and while mixed breed dogs are often labelled a "pitbull" if they have certain physical characteristics such as a square shaped head or bulky body type,[3] visual identification of mixed breed dogs is not recommended by the scholarly community.[4]

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've witnessed this conversation:

Bite victim: I was bitten by a dog
Nurse: Why kind of dog was it?
BV: I don't know.
Nurse: What did it look like?
BV: It was big and black, that's all I can say
Nurse: Did it have a big, square head?
BV: I don't really know.
Nurse: Could it have been a pit bull?
BV: It could have been.
Nurse: I'll mark it down as a pit.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Media has nothing to do with my experiences with Pits and or the owners.

I'm willing to bet I've met and handled more dogs - no, VASTLY more - dogs than you. Doing a really quick WAG, I'll estimate that I've met and handled roughly 25,000 dogs in my more than ten years as a veterinarian.

Never been bitten by a pit. Not once. I have met a few aggressive ones and I'll be the first to admit that an aggressive pit is terrifying - but those dogs were the exception.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have the experience and first hand knowledge to say that I don't have a problem with pits.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Bite victim: I was bitten by a dog
Nurse: Why kind of dog was it?
BV: I don't know.
Nurse: What did it look like?
BV: It was big and black, that's all I can say
Nurse: Did it have a big, square head?
BV: I don't really know.
Nurse: Could it have been a pit bull?
BV: It could have been.
Nurse: I'll mark it down as a pit.

sorry not sure you qualify as a reliable source. i will trust the reporters in the media... :)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That's funny, yet sad. I was once bitten on the butt by an Old English Sheepdog; when telling a friend later I'd been bitten by "a dog" but before telling her what breed it had been, her response was:

"Oh no! Was it a pit bull?"

:rolleyes2

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet I've met and handled more dogs - no, VASTLY more - dogs than you. Doing a really quick WAG, I'll estimate that I've met and handled roughly 25,000 dogs in my more than ten years as a veterinarian.

Never been bitten by a pit. Not once. I have met a few aggressive ones and I'll be the first to admit that an aggressive pit is terrifying - but those dogs were the exception.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have the experience and first hand knowledge to say that I don't have a problem with pits.

Having "more than ten years as a veterinarian", why would you - of all OSA members, abuse animals? Answer me that.
Poor puppy in your avatar wearing an OU jersey - that's animal abuse!
:rotflmao:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 31, 2012

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-study-dog-attacks-and-maimings-merritt-clifton.php

Together, pit bulls (23) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 68% of all fatal attacks in 2012. In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, this combination accounted for 73% (183) of the total recorded deaths (251).

How dare you bring facts to this argument!

Latest posts

Top Bottom