Painted Rifle Resale Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How does paint affect purchase price/decision?

• Negatively affects decision to purchase

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Reduces resale price

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Affects both price and decision negatively

Votes: 63 61.8%
  • No effect at all, it has what I want and paint can be removed

Votes: 11 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i buy used guns for one of three reasons.

its just something i want, but cant really buy new because its an older gun, war rifle, or a post ban import fabrication job.
i do not really want any of these painted in the first place.

i do not actually know what i want, but found something that i would like to try for a good deal, knowing i could buy it, shoot it, and if i like it; i could live with its current condition, and if i do not like it after all, sale it and get what i had invested in it, back out.
a rattle can gun would scream, probably not going to get my money back out of it, if i do not like it, and if i do, i maybe influenced to sale it anyway and buy the newest clean not painted version of it.

and finally, because i have done my research, maybe even got behind someone else's gun, and decided i want one. usually i if i buy a gun that i know i want, i actually have no intention of actually ever selling it; even if i can find the same gun used and save some money, i will go hands down for the brand new one even doing a write up and telling the gubberment that i have it with a yellow form, from a legit dealer. i am just that picky. i love the smell of a new gun in box, holding it knowing that i am its first new owner, the first one to actually shoot it outside of factory test. i love experiencing how tight and picky they can be at first, then experiencing them loosen up and become a well oiled tool after putting a number of rounds down range. i like knowing that when i loosen a screw, i am not going to find that its been over tightened and stripped out, or looking it over only to find scuffs that i did not notice when i bought it, and did not put there.

the post specified rattle can, aka krylon, spray paint. it screams cheap, and the potential to mask a hard life. and even if it did not it still screams at me that i am going to either have to work at cleaning it off, or having someone else do the job.

if i want a gun a different color, it will either be that the manufacturer offers a variety, or that i decide it would look good to me, and take it to traxxis. i also consider duracoat and those proper gun finishes to be different, but again it has to look right, i have to be attracted to the gun, and get the feeling that i can still get my money back out of it, if i come to find that i do not actually like the gun after i have shot it.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about painting my 6.5 Grendel to some sort of desert tan with a little bit of green and brown camo scheme. I figured it would match the dead grass Oklahoma has during the winter and drought stricken summers. I have a buddy who does a great job with "rattle cans" however, I've also seen great jobs with duracoat. I understand the idea of duracoat being more durable and professional but I like the idea of the rattle can job so that I can touch up or change the camo scheme depending on what type of landscape I plan to hunt in.

So is everyone saying, that if I "rattle can" my Grendel, its worth less money if I ever decide to sell it?

Bigsaxy1270

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree gmar, I've got a custom Remington 700 .308 that's my sniper rifle. I've got 3k in that gun and I rattlecan mine to match my my current environment. It's definetly nice to pull out a can and add the color that matches what you need. Some may think that I'm crazy, but it really depends on your application for gun. Mine stuck out being all black and absorbed alot of heat. I never have gotten around to doing a high dollar coat on mine and probably will one day but this works for now.
Now with all that being said, I would agree that someone would probably look at it and feel it was less impressive or cheaper looking than being unpainted. Simple solution, strip it down if you wanna sell. Pay less if your buying. Just my opinion.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my rattle can job.
c3.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images02_126_l_d1cf35bdbdb742109a05c15524b44afe.jpg

And a close up of the camo:
c3.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images02_139_l_21345b2daa6e4e22b7192e195b107ce2.jpg

I wouldn't expect it to increase the value, but I wouldn't cut the price either.

juscvin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me it would certainly reduce the value of the gun because that's time and money im going to have to spend removing the spray pain and getting the gun back to a factory or better condition

Latest posts

Top Bottom