Pawnee Winter Run n' Gun - 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am using a mil surp bolt action too. M39 Mosin for me... if I can get it to quit rim locking when loaded with stripper clips that is. I've got a new interrupter on order that I'm hoping will fix it.

Well, darn, sorry I missed you. I might have been in Logan, NM competing at the 2015 Team Safari. Give me a little warning next time if you can.

Will do. Man, that Team Safari looks cool. I'd love to do an event like that one of these days.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of results do you guys with iron sights get @ 500 yds on a 18 x 20 target? In theory if a mil surp gun & ammo on a perfect day shot 2 moa then you would keep all shots on a 20 x 20. Question is, in the field out of ten shots on average how many would ring steel.

Nick710

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shakyhand,

If you study the results, you'll note that many shooters time-out on the 500 yard target stage. Uncle Money Bags can chime in here as he RO's that stage. Most guys don't have the opportunity to shoot 500 yards, hence the reason most can't hit the target. Using an old military surplus bolt gun with irons, will make it more difficult.

Matt in TN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll also note that certain guys with iron-sighted Garands do very well at the 500yd stage. I shot a 2 MOA FAL in January, and made my three hits in 6 shots. 2 MOA is plenty accurate for this match.

BTW - we have five (maybe six) FALers all signed up and training hard for January, coming all the way from Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Georgia, and Texas. It broke my heart how many times I heard "A FAL, huh? We've never seen one of those here before...", so I put out the call. We'll try our best to represent ;-)

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, I was referring to the guys that have taken the time to check where there rifle hits at 500 yds. I have been fortunate to have access to a private range to zero.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW - we have five (maybe six) FALers all signed up and training hard for January, coming all the way from Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Georgia, and Texas. It broke my heart how many times I heard "A FAL, huh? We've never seen one of those here before...", so I put out the call. We'll try our best to represent ;-)

That's awesome man.

I know of a group of pistol shooters from various states coming as well. Theres also a military guy and his LE girlfriend from TN that I met at the Pecos RnG that are making the trip. We're all meeting in Tulsa the night before the event for supper.

Ought to be a good time. Hopefully the weather is good for travel.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran with a Garand last two times with greek milsurp 30-06, and have no place to practice 500 yard shots. First time (winter 2014) I timed out at that stage. Second time (summer 2015) I finished the stage and I hit 2/4 (maybe it was 5) on 500.
Remember, last time that stage was 2 hits at 200, 2 at 300 and 2 at 500 (Someone validate this please). The 200 was no problem, but I squandered 8 or so shots on the 300..... and then the 500.

I practiced at 25m for the 500.

Matt in TN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Matt you was definitely a work horse carrying 120 rds of 308. Thanks for chiming in. When I tell people about run n gun I show them your video.

Thank you sir. All of us coming this far is a testament to how awesome this match is, and what a good job the match directors, range officers, and admin group do actually pulling it off. Well done, gentleman (and ladies) - and thank you for all your work!

I am very much looking forward to coming back - and I will try harder to keep up with you this time!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom